1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PudgyMuffins, Jun 23, 2015.

1. PudgyMuffins

PudgyMuffins New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    Hello. So I have been raising two ducks, and I will be getting more in the future. When I first got them, one person recommended we give them medicated chick feed, and when they go outside, flock raiser. I now am looking up more information, im really new and not very educated on raising ducks, and seeing that people don't recommend medicated chick feed for ducks. They now are outside and eating flock raiser. Does anyone has some advice for me? Im just so confused on what my ducks should eat to be healthy. Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They are outside - are they safe from predators? How old are they? If they are in good health, at this point I would not be terribly concerned.

The predator issue is what I am concerned about….

3. marcelineduckie

marcelineduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    California
    unmedicated chick feed is fine, ducks eat more than chickens so they can easily.overdose. I have been getting meat builder but in crumbles so it's easier to swallow. always always give them water with food they need it! :) I actually just talked to someone at the farm store about when to switch to feeder pellets and they don't recommend until about 20 weeks old. how old are your ducks? some say it's a very good idea to add a tablespoon of brewers yeast to every cup of food it helps them avoid lameness and other leg problems. mine were on it for a while when.younger but now at 6 and 9 weeks we haven't done.it anymore but when we can we will start them on it again :) some people also put niacin drops in the water I haven't tried this as they waste a lot of water.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I did start the switch from starter crumble to grower between two and three weeks - there is a variety of things people do and many of them work out fine.

5. marcelineduckie

May 9, 2015
    California
    would grower be meat builder or the pellets? or is it all the same? I'm not sure how much research these people do at the farm store I'd think they knew what they were talking about but on one visit they told me I don't need to buy the brewers yeast that the meat builder would.be enough and today I was asking about the pellets and they said to.stay on the meat builder would be best :/

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I admit I don't listen to the feed store clerks. I read up here on the Duck Forum and look at the ingredients on the labels.

7. marcelineduckie

May 9, 2015
    California
    see I need to ask to see a label, they have the food packaged in Brown bags and the one they give me for.the ducks just have a m.b. in marker on the front. I'm going to.look and see if I.might be able to.find another store, I like this one though it's close and the people are nice and my girls enjoy holding the animals :)

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You may be able to get them to tell you the name of the food and you can look it up online, maybe. I know I like sticking to stores where I get along with the clerks.

9. marcelineduckie

May 9, 2015
    California
    that is a great idea thank you, I didn't even think about asking haha. next time I go.there I will ask for sure

10. emma duck lover

emma duck lover New Egg

Jul 6, 2015
    hiyya all i am new to this
    but i have a question

i was accused of not feeding my ducks enough they are free range from 8am to 6pm and they have feed they are on mixed corn and rolled barley i give them a celebration tub full of the food mixed for 10 cayuga x ayalsbury is that enough for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by