Duck Feeding Questions - Providing Greens & More

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by countrygirl74, Jan 23, 2013.

1. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    So, my chickens will eat just about anything... but I've read that ducks are a little more limited. My ducks (2 Pekins & 2 Rouens) and chickens are separated so I can throw in stuff to the chickens without the ducks having access. My question is how much and of what should I be giving my ducks in addition to their regular feed? It feels like I am constantly throwing out leftover stuff for the chickens and not the ducks.
    I feed them fermented grower mash 2x's daily. I give them some veggies and mixed greens once in a while but not sure how much I should give them... They only free-range under supervision and it doesn't really matter right now as there is NOTHING there this time of year but bare dirt.
    I thought I read that someone said to not give ducks seeds and then someone else posted that they give BOSS to their ducks all the time, so I am confused.
    I give baked squash to the chickens once in a while from our garden surplus that I am storing. Can the ducks eat the cooked squash out of the shell as well, or not? Can they have the seeds or do I need to pull those out? Sorry for all the questions... just wanting to make sure they are getting the right food and the right amounts.
    I really LOVE these guys so I want to make sure I do the right thing.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Ducks can eat pretty much whatever you feed chickens.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Check out this, it can be found in the stickies at the top of the duck forum
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

squash is fine, I give it uncooked too. I have found that they typically won't eat things that they can't swallow. BOSS is fine too. There are no set amounts of feed to give. You can give them some feed and go back and check a little later and see if it is all gone. If they eat it all too quickly they may need more. If after 15-30 minutes there is some left, that is good. At this time of year I try to leave feed down all of the time. I do have 6 week old ducklings though. I put feed down in the morning and there will usually be a little left then I put some in the chicken's and the duck's coops in the evening.

4. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Thanks! I think I've basically derived from the list to keep the bread products for the chickens and most everything else I feed the chickens might possibly just need to be cut up for the ducks... Maybe I will just make 2 scrap bowls because I don't cut up anything for the chickens - I just throw it out there. Do you let the ducks eat the squash seeds then too?? What about eggshells? I throw those back to the chickens crushed. Should I just do that for the chickens or the ducks as well?

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    They are fine for both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by