Duck feet, frostbite or not? ‍♀️

HollyNoelle

Chirping
Sep 13, 2018
So it’s my first winter with ducks. I’ve tried to prevent frostbite and with it being MI we get pretty cold weather. However I don’t think I’ve ever closely monitored their feet before so I don’t recall what their feet looked prior to now and the other day my husband said their feet were dark. I of course panicked and brought them thinking omg frostbite. After examining them today I realized it may not be frostbite. Your thoughts? They’re female Rouens.

Attachments

• 28C22E36-AB6F-4BB5-8228-E117FE52F72B.jpeg
    28C22E36-AB6F-4BB5-8228-E117FE52F72B.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 040395E7-254B-4E8F-8994-E1A1CAA25C83.jpeg
    040395E7-254B-4E8F-8994-E1A1CAA25C83.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 43
This is frostbite in ducks and might be helpful to know what to do and look for.
It begins as red swelling and then the feet turn black. Provide ample housing out of the snow and wet with warm straw. http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/frostbite

Thanks for the information. There was never redness or swelling and not frozen anything! Their feet are pretty soft and smooth. We put straw everywhere and try to change their bedding often. They’ve been pretty smart about huddling together and keeping their feet up. And going back into their housing unit when it’s very cold. We have their home open, a straw igloo and a dog house igloo with straw in it as well. We put straw on pathways to their water and food. The windchill is getting down to -40 Wednesday and we built a shelter inside the garage for the worst of the cold blast this week.

If your unsure or concerned you could always ask a vet with pics over the phone. They might be able to tell you for sure and if worth seeing.

We are lucky high 49 today but going down to 0 with high of 6 this week. So far so good! We keep vacillating back and forth on temps. Garage as back up good.

I have straw down everywhere too including my walkways. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom