Duck feet - what is normal??

addymurley

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
Queensland
hi everyone,
I've recently learned a lot about bumble foot as one of my ducks had a cut on the bottom of its foot and had a slight limp - I've been applying antiseptic cream and it seems to have gotten better - but I've now checked all nine of my ducks' feet and I'm just not sure what is considered normal and what's cause for concern. Several of my ducks have one or two cracks on the bottom of the feet which seem quite deep but not open and I've read on here that some cracking is normal but I was wondering if anyone could give me more information?? I think I've found bumble foot on one of my others but I'll attach photos of the ones I'm unsure of for a second opinion. The cracks on the other's feet are dark coloured but I think that's just from dirt?? I'm really unsure if I'm looking at several cases of bumble foot or just dirty cracked feet (first time duck owner if you couldn't tell)!
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.40 pm.png

Any opinions appreciated!
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.09 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.18 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.57 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.12.39 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.49 pm.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.31 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.31 pm.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.49 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.49 pm.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.05.40 pm.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
hi @addymurley please note this is my personal opinion and not medical advice.

For me, if I see that with my ducks, I consider it abnormal...

I hardly ever have this anymore since my ducks have a good water source (they are almost the whole day in the water, and when on land, 90% on grass.
what I did before when I see something like this is make sure they have enough water, remove the (sometimes to sharp) bedding so they don’t walk in their manure with those cracks And possibly get an infection. And soak their feet in epsom salt water at least once a day. After bathing I put on some topical cream which is used in the Netherlands for cow‘s when their udders have cracks, and within a couple of days I see great improvement.

I hope my answer helps you a bit :)

hi @addymurley please note this is my personal opinion and not medical advice.

For me, if I see that with my ducks, I consider it abnormal...

I hardly ever have this anymore since my ducks have a good water source (they are almost the whole day in the water, and when on land, 90% on grass.
what I did before when I see something like this is make sure they have enough water, remove the (sometimes to sharp) bedding so they don’t walk in their manure with those cracks And possibly get an infection. And soak their feet in epsom salt water at least once a day. After bathing I put on some topical cream which is used in the Netherlands for cow‘s when their udders have cracks, and within a couple of days I see great improvement.

I hope my answer helps you a bit :)
thank you, that does help. there is a large dam in the paddock behind my house, maybe I will lead them down to that and they'll perhaps start spending their days down there on the water? (obviously still being fed and locked in at night and within eyesight), is that something that you would recommend?
Thank you so much for your help!

I live next to a small river and they swim in there, I feed them ofcourse and they are easily to grab and check. But every night it was a struggle to lock them in because they did not want to leave the water on command...

now they just sleep outside, not locked in anymore. I know, not ideal with predators and all but that way they live the ultimate duck life 😀. When a landpredator comes they can jump into the water. And we don’t have water predators which will catch adult ducks.

So maybe I’m not the right person to ask what’s the best way to keep your ducks save at night. But hereby my experience :)

they became close friends with two moorhens :) so funny! 2 big Cayuga’s, 4 smaller ducks and two moorhens 😄

Back
Top Bottom