Duck flock loosing hair around eyes, head and back of neck.

Cowgirls Boots

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Hi guys! I'm wondering if y'all could help.

I have 9 male khaki Campbell ducks in with my chickens. I got them for free from a woman who had them in a small puppy playpen in her backyard.

They had full feathers when I got them months ago, but recently I've noticed the feathers around their eyes, head, and back of the neck is balding.

The chickens usually don't bother them and everyone gets along fine.

What could it be? I thought lice but the chickens are all fine.
I will try to get some photos later.
Thanks!

They could be pulling each others' feathers out. Pictures will help. I would watch them and see what the flock dynamics are. These are all drakes, yes?

Be careful - if a drake tries to mate with a chicken I have been told it could fatally injure her.

They are all drakes. They never touch the chickens but the roosters did harass the only female we had. Unfortunately we had a freak accident and she got her leg caught in the nesting area and didn't make it. :(

If you can get ahold of a game camera to see how things are going in the shelter at night, you may find out if they are pulling each other's feathers. The missing feathers are similar to what is seen when there is too much mating, and the drakes will try that with each other sometimes.

I would separate the ones (I see two with noticeably missing feathers) into a safe place with fresh water and food and bedding for a while. I think they are getting abused by the other drakes.

Back
Top Bottom