Duck food and water

Turkey and gamebird feed might be too high in protein for ducklings. They WILL however be more likely to have the correct amount of niacin.

I always fed crumbled and never wet my feed when I had ducklings.

We also have grange... I far prefer Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. :)
Is that what you feed your adults too?

Last edited:
Yes... from hatch, through laying and beyond. I provide oyster shell free choice separately for layers. I use this for chickens and ducks without issue. Some people might find they got a lot of waste using crumble. So wetting it is one way they reduce waste. I always kept my waterers at least about 10-15 feed from the feeder since ducks like to go back and forth so much. I also fermented for a while and that was fine as well.

The Purina flock raiser has 55mg/kg of niacin to feed and 20% protein, I had to contact the company for the information since it isn't listed as part of the guaranteed analysis.

Although I have seen some feeds labeled as turkey or gamebird that were much lower in protein than I anticipated so reading the nutrient label is always more important than just what they "call" the feed.

Oh and I read somewhere that ducks can choke on crumbles? I'm feeding them a Turkey and wild game bird feed from my Grange which is a crumble
Unfortunately, you will read something bad or scary about any choice you make with your ducks. :he

It’s maddening trying to figure out the best setup and routine for your flock sometimes. But they will be just fine with crumbles. There’s always a freak chance of something going wrong. Don’t you wish they had a manual? “If this happens, go to page 43. If that happens, go to page 94.”:lau

Unfortunately, you will read something bad or scary about any choice you make with your ducks. :he

It’s maddening trying to figure out the best setup and routine for your flock sometimes. But they will be just fine with crumbles. There’s always a freak chance of something going wrong. Don’t you wish they had a manual? “If this happens, go to page 43. If that happens, go to page 94.”:lau
Haha that would be handy!!

Back
Top Bottom