Duck food and water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NoahSully, Aug 10, 2018.

1. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    casportpony and CayugaJana like this.
  2. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Chirping

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    I never put water on my ducks food but it’s not unheard of to do so. Seems like it would just make more of a mess to me.

3. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    HI there!!!! And welcome to BYC!!! I know lots of people have told you that just I have not so Welcome!! I never wet my duck feed. Even the babies just seemed to eat it all up!!! If they have water close by they should be fine!

4. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    Oh and I read somewhere that ducks can choke on crumbles? I'm feeding them a Turkey and wild game bird feed from my Grange which is a crumble

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Turkey and gamebird feed might be too high in protein for ducklings. They WILL however be more likely to have the correct amount of niacin.

I always fed crumbled and never wet my feed when I had ducklings.

We also have grange... I far prefer Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. :)

6. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    Is that what you feed your adults too?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    casportpony likes this.
  7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Yes... from hatch, through laying and beyond. I provide oyster shell free choice separately for layers. I use this for chickens and ducks without issue. Some people might find they got a lot of waste using crumble. So wetting it is one way they reduce waste. I always kept my waterers at least about 10-15 feed from the feeder since ducks like to go back and forth so much. I also fermented for a while and that was fine as well.

The Purina flock raiser has 55mg/kg of niacin to feed and 20% protein, I had to contact the company for the information since it isn't listed as part of the guaranteed analysis.

Although I have seen some feeds labeled as turkey or gamebird that were much lower in protein than I anticipated so reading the nutrient label is always more important than just what they "call" the feed.

8. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Unfortunately, you will read something bad or scary about any choice you make with your ducks. :he

It’s maddening trying to figure out the best setup and routine for your flock sometimes. But they will be just fine with crumbles. There’s always a freak chance of something going wrong. Don’t you wish they had a manual? “If this happens, go to page 43. If that happens, go to page 94.”:lau

9. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    Haha that would be handy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: