Duck food mixes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bekah095, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Bekah095

Bekah095 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    I have two laying ducks and i'm concerned that they may not be getting the right amount of nutrients that they need. I feed them country roads layer crumbles and scratch grains with some roasted crushed eggshells. Their food is free-choice and always full but the layer crumbles is formulated for chickens. Does it make a difference? They do roam around the yard when its warm out but in the winter they solely eat the commercial food. I just want to make sure my girls get everything they need to be healthy and lay as many eggs as they can, especially in winter. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think they should be fine if you don't give much (more than 10%) scratch grains. I can see giving a little scratch for extra energy in the cold, but you might consider giving them something like sprouted wheat instead. I buy the wheat in bulk and soak it overnight then I have a tray with holes in it so they can sprout a little more before giving them to the ducks.

3. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010

How long does it take to sprout before you feed it to them? Do you get the wheat at a feed store?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I buy it bulk from our grocery store, some feed stores sell it. After I soak it, I can generally see the beginnings of a sprout within 24 to 36 hours, I think. Within 5 days I have little green blades of grass.

5. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010

Thanks. Found a link on how to do it using canning jars. Think I may try it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by