DUCK FOOD PROBLEM

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
My ducks are 5-6 months old and I’ve been feeding them chick starter Food. I heard that mature ducks should have no more than 17% protein so I mix it with starch grains. However, I feel like a horrible person for this because they are ducks not chicks. I wanted to buy purina food since it’s for both males and females but they didn’t have any. I was checking to see if they had it in rual king but the. I realized that they use 19% protein in their food. And I really do t want to mix starch grains with the purina food either. I feel like my duck will get to fat if I keep using starch grains. Can someone help me find food for my ducks!!!??

there is some evidence that high protein feeds can contribute to angel wing in ducks.

Chick starter tends to be high in protein, but I just watch the ducklings closely (some are more prone to angel wing than others). I do add nutritional yeast to the chick feed since ducklings tend to need more B vitamins than chicks.

An easier way is to find any feed labeled "All Flock" or "flock raiser" since those usually are a bit lower in protein as well as have more B vitamins than chicken only feeds.

Back
Top Bottom