Duck Food Transition

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dolly1218, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Dolly1218

Dolly1218 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Hi Everyone!! [​IMG] Well my girls are going to be 2wks soon so I wanted to be prepared to switch their food at 3wks. They are currently on a 27% waterfowl starter, I couldn't find anything else unmedicated so I had to order this.. The closest feed store had a Game Bird Chow at 12% so I bought that. The only other things they had were medicated chick food & Layena. I know 12% is very low for them to stay on when they start to lay. My question is: is it too low for them when I switch at 3wks? I give them peas, mealworms, &/or minnows as a treat every afternoon. Should I give them something else to bump the protien up a little more when I switch to 12% feed? Also could they stay on this feed if I give them oyster shell free range when they lay? As soon as it warms up they will go outside for most of the day and forage, I have been pulling grass (cutting it up smaller for their little mouths) from outside for them. I know, my girls are spoiled lol. [​IMG]

Thank you everyone!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think 12% is actually about right, high protein is believed to cause angelwing in growing ducks. Once they start laying you can just switch them to layena.

3. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado

Ok thank you. Could I keep them on this feed and just add free range protien supplements like oyster shell and/or others?

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Oyster shell is for calcium. You could add something with higher protein though, just not sure what.

5. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Oh! Silly me! [​IMG] I have no clue why I thought that was protien lol. I guess I will just switch them to Layena when they are feathered out. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by