1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bish, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    What are some delicious things your duck likes to eat? I just wanted a clearer understanding of what is good and bad for your duck. I am aware avocado is toxic to ducks? Is there any thing else I should steer clear of? I feed him duck / chook pellets, lettuce, tomato, I boil up frozen peas and corn and carrot, he loves that. Is there any thing else ducks love he is missing out on? [​IMG]

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I think you've got the main things covered there!! :) Mine also like worms from the garden (especially served up in a bowl of mud they can sift through...yum yum), kale, leafy Asian-style greens and weeds like chickweed and milk thistles. They also love the leaves of plants like zucchini and squash and they love Jerusalam artichoke leaves and tubers (I crush the tubers so they can eat them). Mine also like watermelon and rockmelon - just cut a big piece and they eat the inside. Apparently some ducks also liked cooked potato, though I haven't tried that with mine.

3. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    Awesome. Thanks. I have considered going to get him some worms. I have fed him watermelon, he does love that. He doesn't like strawberries. I have given him mashed potato, he does like a small amount. I just didn't want him missing out on delicious things. He likes grapes too. But I worry it could get stuck so I usually steer clear of those.

4. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    If you squash the grapes they should be fine. Mine quite like green grapes but won't touch red grapes. Funny birds :)

Mine really like it when I dig in the garden to unearth worms for them. These days I can't dig any kind of hole without being beseiged by ducks!

For the worms that I give them in a bowl of mud, I get these from my worm farm. I more or less have the worm farm just for the ducks. It's just a hole in the ground (about 3 feet by 2 feet and about 2 feet deep) with a lid and I put all my kitchen veggie scraps in there (the worms are just the normal ones you buy for worm farms).

5. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Heehee - I just realised you are in Dubbo. Not so far from me! [​IMG]

6. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    Oh are you in Canberra?
    I might buy some worms from the pet store. I don't have any gardens at my place to help him dig through. I will be sure to put it in mud for him so he can have fun and dig. [​IMG]
    I am still learning so much about my duck. I am so new to all of this. He eats so much. He loves his food. Do they like apple?

7. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, in Canberra :)

You could always try him with apple. If you stand on it to squash it then he will be able to eat it.

If he hasn't had worms before he may be a little suspicous at first but I'm sure he'll work out how tasty they are (for ducks that is...!).

8. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    Haha. I will definitely try it. I am sure he will love them. He loves his tomatoes. He goes crazy when I get out the tomatoes. [​IMG]

9. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love crickets, the box of large or medium crickets you can get from Petbarn. We used them when one of mine was having surgery and couldnt fossik, great for protein! My little girl used to get worked up when she saw the box, just loved it when we let them all go and she could chase them down!

Mine are also partial to Studmix which we give the horses, a seed and grain and chaff mix with molasses. I put a bit in their seed mix, as well as extra sunflower seeds, which they like so much they pick out first. Oh, and oats, rolled or instant they love both.

10. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    Oooooh thank you. I will try those too. My duck will be very happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by