Duck foot abscess

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cgbalch, Apr 5, 2018.

1. cgbalch

cgbalch In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello, I'm looking for advice on what to do for my Campbell duck who I noticed was limping today. Upon inspection I saw this abscess or infection of some sort on her toe. Has anyone ever had this before? How did you heal it? I'm assuming a salt soak would be a good place to start, but would love some advice on what else I can do! Thanks!

IMG-1523.jpg

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Hopefully some others will chime in at some point.
    My advice is to soak the foot in Epsom Salts for at least 10 minutes.
    Afterwards, you could lance the abscess with a sterile needle, and push the pus out. Then, put non-painkiller antibiotic ointment on the wound and wrap the toe.

Keep an eye on it for infection and change the bandage daily until healed.

Good luck,
    Cyprus

3bird likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Good idea @Cyprus but Poultry pus isn't liquid it is a cheesy consistency so it will have to be picked out not squeezed. I'd def do the soaking in ES warm water[don't let her drink it it is also a laxative] then try using clear iodine over after it dries. If there is a scab after a few days of soaking and applying the c iodine you might be able to gently remove the scab if not keep up with treatment till you can once open use sterile tweezers to pick out the bumble plug. pack with triple antibiotic ointment wrap and change bandages as need till healed. Hopefully you'll not have to cut using this method. Could something be in there looks like a small hole, or could it even be a bite from a spider or a bee sting? What does under foot look like?

3bird likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

That's on the top of her foot so it Possibly isn't either..A puncture or broke her toe tripping?..Soak it in Epsom salt or regular salt..warm to hot water compress so puss rises to the surface and it should drain....

3bird likes this.
  5. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    What's the rough ratio of epsom salt to water? Warm to hot water, I assume? What about this clear iodine. I only have Betadine (Povidone-iodine). Thanks!

6. Miss Lydia

I use a gal bucket or dish pan which ever is convenient at the time fill half way with warm water and put half cup to 1 cup of Epsom salt mix stand them in holding onto them for as long as you can get them to stand there. You can use the betadine after but if you get a chance get clear it seems to draw the bumble to the surface better. mine get a nice handful of dried meal worms after they get treatment.

3bird likes this.
  7. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    Thanks! I'm reading this thread now:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-drakes-foot-is-always-bleeding.1200823/

Lots of great info, but it is loooooooooong!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

yes it is and poor guy has it again too. :(

3bird likes this.
  9. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    Oh no! I have not gotten that far. :-(

Our Plan:

Lucy: Clavamox 3x/day crushed in food, and we may start with soaks for her too. She is not currently confined per the vet's advice. The reasoning was that there is no open wound and the movement will help her heal.

Angus: Start epson salt soaks today (15 minute) followed by clear iodine application and hold him until it absorbs (he's going to *LOVE* that ;-) ). I'll get some pictures, see if there is any foreign body in the wound and decide if we need to wrap. I'm thinking we will isolate him in an enclosure inside the duck run. We'll use pine shavings and have his food and water inside the enclosure. Anything else?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Once you evaluate his foot there may be no need to put him in confinement unless there is an open wound.

Soaks would be a good idea on both. If you can hold Angus in there for 15 mins you will deserve a medal. Mine will stay put with out a fight maybe close to 10.

Has the swelling gone down on Lucy's foot?

3bird likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: