3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All and Happy Spring!

Our wonderful Goose (she's a duck named Goose) is lame, and given that this is our first lame duck, we're looking for some assistance in both diagnosis and treatment. I've scanned through a bunch of threads here on bumble foot and the like, and I've consulted the duck books on my bookshelf. I'm still not decided on a course of action, so I thought I'd turn to you guys. Here are the basics:

Yesterday morning (Friday), it appeared as if Goose was limping when I let her out in the morning. I inspected her left foot and took some pictures as best I could (I'm holding down the fort solo this week, so getting pictures was tricky). She is eating and preening and generally acting herself except for the limp. By the evening, however, it was worse. She is still doing all her usual duck stuff, but the limp was more pronounced. I carried her around behind the flock as they grubbed around the property. When I'd put her down, she'd quite happily grub and preen, but she didn't like to go far on her own. She either sat on the grass or tucked her one foot up. When the ducks moved on, she would wait for me to pick her up and carry her to wherever they had gone off to.

This morning, it is the same or worse. She does not want weight bear on it at all really, but she did burst out of the run to have her soup. I took her down to the little brook and she quite happily floated about while probing the banks and bottom for snacks. I inspected her foot again, and I didn't really see much difference, but we are new to ducks, and I certainly could be missing something. Here are some pictures:

20180330_094516.jpg

20180330_094619 (1).jpg

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Try it that way or if she'll take bread I use it small amount smooched around a pill broken into how ever many pieces it takes to get it down. Mine never know they are getting a pill using the bread method. But she may take it the other way too if you can feed her ducky soup with out the others getting into it.

So sorry hope she heals quickly now that she is on the meds.
Thank you! She was amazing going to the vet. Calm, cool and collected and very curious about the ride in the truck!
20180402_212740.jpg

On the middle toe that lil scab. That can develop into bumble foot right under right conditions if it was a cut, scrap, now it looks okay but soaking in ES and warm water then applying some clear iodine to that area can help to get the scab off and then you can see if anything is in there I don't think at this point there is so you might just want to apply the clear iodine and watch it.

Try it that way or if she'll take bread I use it small amount smooched around a pill broken into how ever many pieces it takes to get it down. Mine never know they are getting a pill using the bread method. But she may take it the other way too if you can feed her ducky soup with out the others getting into it.

So sorry hope she heals quickly now that she is on the meds.

Thanks so much! Regarding the swelling, tt's hard to say. It may be. It will be easier once my wife gets home and one of us can hold her while the other inspects. It feels warm/hot to the touch, but not significantly warmer to me than her other foot. Should I keep the dog crate in the run so she can see everyone else? What about food and water? I'm definitely going to take her to the vet Monday, but that's the earliest opportunity.
I'd keep the crate somewhere else, like in the garage so she's not trying to get out with the others. Keep her quiet. Sounds like an infection maybe if it's hot. I put the food and water in the crate. Just a tupperware attached to the crate so it won't tip over, or a heavy crock/dish. Yeah, it's messy and you'll have to clean it out often, but best to keep her quiet. Good luck at the vet!

Or make her a temp small area if that is easier. I'd wait on the antibiotics they are always the last resort. Once you see redness, significant swelling heat [like hot] then it maybe bumble foot. But I would almost say it's a sprain of some kind. She could have even stumbled outside on the way to the creek. Just keep an eye on her like we know you are.

Or make her a temp small area if that is easier. I'd wait on the antibiotics they are always the last resort. Once you see redness, significant swelling heat [like hot] then it maybe bumble foot. But I would almost say it's a sprain of some kind. She could have even stumbled outside on the way to the creek. Just keep an eye on her like we know you are.

Thanks! Will do.

On the middle toe that lil scab. That can develop into bumble foot right under right conditions if it was a cut, scrap, now it looks okay but soaking in ES and warm water then applying some clear iodine to that area can help to get the scab off and then you can see if anything is in there I don't think at this point there is so you might just want to apply the clear iodine and watch it.
Thank you. This will all be much easier once my better half arrives home after a week away. Quick question: She seems really upset to be separated from everyone when they go off foraging. Do you think it would be a bad idea to carry her down to the water and let her float around and forage? I'll be sure to keep the drakes away from her.

Back
Top Bottom