Duck foot surgery IN Process/ swelling, no bumblefoot scab? Now what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deanna&rich, Jan 9, 2011.

1. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Shadow's foot has been sore for two weeks. It didn't start swelling until the second week.
    During the week, we brought her inside for an Epsom salt soak and a good look at it twice, and haven't been able to see anything that looked like a scab or black spot ... no indication of a bumblefoot plug.

The epsom bath seemed to make it feel better. It continued to swell. We can't tell if it's bumblefoot or a bad sprain or maybe dislocation that popped back into place..
    Today we prepped for surgery, using all the info from this site .... thank you wonderful friends.

BUT ... we CANNOT find any scab or odd break in the skin to cut out the plug.
    We lanced the swelling from the top of the foot, and drained out a LOT of lymph and a little bit of pus and blood ... not much bleeding.
    I know that the pus should be cheesy and thick, but I just don't know where to cut. or if we should NOT cut anymore.
    I'll try to post the photos.

Right now, she is back in a clean tub of warm water with epsom salts, but we don't know what else we can do. Help, Please!!

2. deanna&rich

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    [​IMG]

This is the top of her foot AFTER we have lanced and drained. It was larger, and more red (and hot, poor thing) before we lanced it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. deanna&rich

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know theres alot in this thread that have ducks but you might get more response if you go down aways and post on the duck thread, good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by