Duck foot surgery IN Process/ swelling, no bumblefoot scab? Now what?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by deanna&rich, Jan 9, 2011.

1. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Shadow's foot has been sore for two weeks. It didn't start swelling until the second week.
    During the week, we brought her inside for an Epsom salt soak and a good look at it twice, and haven't been able to see anything that looked like a scab or black spot ... no indication of a bumblefoot plug.

The epsom bath seemed to make it feel better. It continued to swell. We can't tell if it's bumblefoot or a bad sprain or maybe dislocation that popped back into place..
    Today we prepped for surgery, using all the info from this site .... thank you wonderful friends.

BUT ... we CANNOT find any scab or odd break in the skin to cut out the plug.
    We lanced the swelling from the top of the foot, and drained out a LOT of lymph and a little bit of pus and blood ... not much bleeding.
    I know that the pus should be cheesy and thick, but I just don't know where to cut. or if we should NOT cut anymore.
    I'll try to post the photos.

Right now, she is back in a clean tub of warm water with epsom salts, but we don't know what else we can do. Help, Please!!

(I also posted this in the "emergencies/illness/diseases" section, not sure which would be the right spot, sorry for duplication!))

2. deanna&rich

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    [​IMG]

This is Shadow's foot ...do you see anything unhealthy? Looks fine to me except a bit swollen.

[​IMG]

This is the top of Shadow's foot AFTER we lanced and drained. It was more swollen and red and hot, poor girl, before the lance.
    She seems more comfortable now, resting in a warm water bath. We changed the water after half-an-hour ... the first was with Epsom salts and now just plain fresh water.
    She ate some peas, too.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

are you sure it was a primary iinfection, and not secondary from a bone injury?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It doesnt llok to be bumblefoot with the swelling being above the joint as it is- be extremely careful with any cutting not to damage muscle or tendons or you may do more harm than good.

Antibiotics is what this duck needs- you should have a vet see her for a proper consultation and to get the correct prescription for antibiotics.

5. deanna&rich

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Thanks ...
    Do you recommend penicillin?
    I've given penicillin for one of our chickens, who broke her leg (compound fracture, very bad); we reset it and she lived.
    We could use the same dosage for the duck.

Vet bills are not an option now. We will do as much as we can and appreciate all suggestions and advice!

We ruled out broken bones for this duck, because all her articulations seem to be fine, range of motion is good (a little constrained due to swelling), and she can use the foot.
    My husband has had numerous broken bones in his life, and bad joint sprains. One bad knee sprain became very swollen, and needed to be lanced and given antibiotic ... this seems to be the MO for Shadow's injury.

thanks again...

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Only a vet can recommend the correct type - dose and duration of antibiotic for the particular type of infection duck has. Anything else would be guessing and may not work.

7. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    I have an Indian Runner duck who also developed a condition that looks very much like this. My vet did take a look at it. We lanced it. but nothing but blood came out. I have also been soaking her foot in warm water with Epsom salts and have been keeping her in my utility room in a stock tank to rest her foot. What I find has been most effective is rubbing Arnica cream into the webbing of her foot since there is a lot of vascularity there to allow for the cream to be absorbed. The hard, golfball sized swelling is now more hazelnut sized and is soft to the touch....... I choose not to use antibiotics, but have been putting garlic oil in her food as well as giving her lavender oil to assist her body with cleaning out the infection.

No idea what caused this as there is no visible wound and I am conscientious about cleanliness. Her foot was x-rayed and it is not broken. She also does not seem to get too much attention from my drakes and my drake to hen ratio is more than adequate.

8. deanna&rich

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Thank you Phasian!
    Could you tell me more about the garlic oil and lavender oil? I do try to keep my small flock all organic, but the eggs are just for us (not for sale).
    We use Arnica on us humans for muscle pain and bruises -very effective- but why did you put it on the duck's foot? for the swelling?

I am giving her penicillan shots, and more Epsom salt soaks, and keeping her inside and quiet during the day. She is feeling better (all cranky again, smile!) thought some swelling persists.

thanks again for your thoughts...!

9. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Hi Deanna-

I use garlic and lavender as they are both powerful antiseptic, antibacterial, and have antiviral properties. Lavender is also calming and I find in general is pretty miraculous stuff. I cured a chicken that was given to me with infectious coryza completely of this condition just using lavender oil. I do sell my eggs in addition to using them myself and I just believe that antibiotics besides being something we shouldn't ingest, often can create more havoc with a bird's immune system than natural remedies.

Arnica is a very effective at reducing swelling from trauma or infection. I found it wasn't doing anything when I rubbed it onto the swelling on her leg since the scales were too thick to absorb it into the bloodstream, but once I rubbed it into the webbing the swelling started reducing immediately. Trout seems to be on the mend.

Glad to hear Shadow is feeling better. You sound like a wonderful duck "mother"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by