1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Football

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tevyes Dad, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    When a head of romaine has been chewed down to its core, we toss it to the ducks and they play "Duck Football." That is one tries to run off with it and chew it at the same time, and the others try to intercept it. It usually charges possession several times before the winner manages to swallow it.

Now although this is very amusing, I am concerned it might not be too bright. So I put it to you that know duck anatomy better than I do to educate me.

The core stays pretty round, so I can't see it rotating (like a stick might) and getting stuck. It seems that once they can get it past their mouths, it falls straight through to their crops so it doesn't SEEM to be a choking hazard.

Even though it is very firm, I would think it is fairly digestable,and unlikely to pack up in their crops (like bread.)

They only get one per day and have access to plenty of grit and water.

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge that this might be harmful? I would hate to hurt them, but it seems to entertain them as much as it entertains us.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any input...

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think anything can happen, but I let my ducks chew on lettuce stems, too, so far no tragedies.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    @ Amiga Thanks! I know there are no guaranties, but I feel better if you do this also especially since you have runners. In my flock, even though i also have runners, my Pekin or my White Crested usually end up swallowing it. (They can do it while it's bigger.) It can be the size of a plum when they get it, but it is usually down to the size of a big grape when they swallow it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I remember watching in horror as Einz swallowed a hickory nut. I watched it go down. Then that evening I heard it crackling as her "tummy" ground it up.

5. Timily Farms

Timily Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    Grants pass, Oregon
    My ducks used to eat walnuts shell and all. I don't remember it hurting them and they loved yhem

6. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    @Amiga The progression of emotions in a situation like that
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    @Timily Farms WOW! Game on with the football then.
    [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yup, that's it. There needs to be an emoticon for holding one's breath, praying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by