Duck gathering eggs

swhite144

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Ireland
Hi, I have a duck who is storing all her eggs in a nest right at the door inside the coop. So far she has 8 and has made the best from straw shaped in a perfect circle. Will she be getting broody if I let them stack up?

Hi, I have a duck who is storing all her eggs in a nest right at the door inside the coop. So far she has 8 and has made the best from straw shaped in a perfect circle. Will she be getting broody if I let them stack up?
Sounds like she is on her way. Welcome to BYC and keep us updated! now only problem is if she goes broody right at the door she isn't going to want to let anyone else come inside. You might want to consider moving her nest into a far corner now since she hasn't started brooding yet, you can take a piece of scrap wood like ply wood and lean it up against the wall and screw it in so it doesn't fall and maybe if she has some privacy she'll use it as her nest. Put her nest and eggs under it.

Last edited:
Will that deter her from returning to the nest?
Probably not at this point once you move her nest place something where she was nesting so she can't use it again. but she should accept the new place since she isn't broody yet. They can be so fickle at times. move her nesting material to the new nest though . It's kind of like us and a favorite blanket. lol

Back
Top Bottom