1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck/Geese food went up $7 a bag!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TennesseeTruly, Jan 5, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We buy our feed once a month at a feed store a little ways from us. Went today to get our monthly chicken/duck/goose/guinea feeds.

I almost died when my feed bill had gone up about 30% in one month!

Our duck and goose food went up $7 a 50 lb a bag!! In one month! I was absolutely furious! A dollar or two, okay? But $7?

I think its absolutely ridiculous that I can order Purina Duck Grower or Breeder from NY at $16 a bag but then I have to pay $25 each bag for shipping. But I can't get the Purina down here in TN. I can only get the Mazuri which as of today is $34 a bag. Last month it was $27.

My husband's going up to NY in March. He's taking the truck up and is going to stop in Long Island where we can buy the Purina for $16 a bag. I told him to fill the truck to the rooftop. We'll put it in the deep freezer.

Laurie

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Now you have me scared. I need to buy more feed. I have to get some generic game bird feed. Nobody around here even has duck food [​IMG]

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Wow thats crazy....my feed is about $11 for a 50 pound bag...

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am paying $16. There is another store that is charging $25 for the same thing.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Can you get the Purina Flockraiser? That's what I use for our ducks. It's 18 a 50 pound bag.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I buy my bird food from Del's Feed & Farm Supply. It's called All Purpose Poultry, only about $9 for a 50lb bag.

I switched to APP because it has higher protien than Layer Crumble/Pellet & my birds are cooped together.

7. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Wow that is a lot!! I was surprised when I grabbed the wrong duck feed over the summer, and paid $12 rather than $10. I have 6 ducks, and I was buying 50 lb. bags every 2 weeks up until a few months ago when I discovered they can eat dried corn as well. So now I buy just $11 back of layer feed, and $7 bag of dried whole corn for the whole month.

8. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    do you have a tsc. i have several a can go to here in mid tenn.

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I pay $7 for a 50 lb bag of chick starter and i think whole corn is the same price. Thank god I dont live where yall do, since i buy about four bags twice a month.

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Put pressure on your feed stores, everybody...I did here and got them to at least meet the last price I paid on my horse feed. (Of course my husband didn't because he won't kick up a fuss and bargain...[​IMG]) I told them it was simply ridiculous at the time because the price of soybeans was down...soybean oil at Sam's club had dropped like $12.00 a container from what it was and of course diesel had dropped...and yet they were charging $16 a bag for horse feed. I got them to do $13.95, which isn't great but it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by