1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by razvanM, Mar 22, 2013.

1. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
  2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I have not worked with ducks but if they are like chickens the breeders are produced through male line and female line crossing. The male side is produced by crossing a male and female from one line and the female side is produced by crossing a male and female from another line. Then you cross the drake from the male line with the hen from the female line to produce the ducks that would be raised for food.

If you are purchasing the ducks that are used for food, you will get variable results with the offspring concerning size. The ducks are most likely highly manipulated when it comes to genetics of growth. The two parent lines produce a superior breeder that when crossed produces a production duck that is even more superior. The parents lines are superior when it comes to fertility and egg production- the production birds are superior meat producers.

Just my two cents. This is the way it works with chickens.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by