Duck, Goose.. Or neither?

Duck, Goose.. Or neither?

• Total voters

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Recently, I've gotten rid of my 11 quail, and it feels a bit empty.. So, I was thinking, I have 7 month old chickens.. Why not add a duck or two?! Or geese?? Which one do you prefer? I'm thinking a smaller duck/goose because I do know ducks/geese are very messy. I don't really want a whole flock of ducks, would that be ok? If it is, I would need very friendly breed recommendations, space required, a place to get them, and, pretty much everything else I'd need to know. Thanks!

Well, you need at least two of whichever species you choose, preferably three so that if you lose one the remaining two still have each other.

If you want friendly and small, Call ducks are good choice. They are a small, friendly bantam duck. They are very loud, though, so that would be something to consider.

I have geese too and I love them. However, even a small goose is big compared to other poultry, and they are loud. Ganders can be aggressive during the breeding season, so that is something you would want to take into consideration.

I vote geese! I have 3 Muscovy ducks which are great if you want something very quiet but they are fairly large ducks. In my experience though, all of my ducks have been skittish, even the ones home hatched and hand raised. The geese on the other hand, while BIG, are very sweet and affectionate (towards family and familiar people anyway). We got our first geese this year from the feed mill. They were just there and I couldn't resist! Sunshine and Lollipop are my yard buddies now and have been imprinted on us since the day we brought them home. They're about 8 months old now, both boys, and still follow us all over the yard. They are territorial and will chase intruders away but get along well with the chickens (they were introduced to the flock young). Both geese and all 3 ducks coexist together with the chickens and share the same coop.

IMG_2171.JPG

Thanks, everyone! After doing a little research, I've seen that the bigger they are, the more affectionate they are. But I think it'd be rather hard to talk my parents into getting 2/3 large ducks or geese.. I definitely have room for another coop/run - or even to expand the chickens run/coop. I can definitely try though and see the outcome. My mother already fell in love with my sweet hens, so, if she just gives it a chance, maybe she'll fall in love with a duck or a goose too! :fl

We have 6 chickens(who have their own huge coop and run) and we want more birds , but not necessarily chickens, I’m hooked on geese and ducks, but we might not be getting either if the fam doesn’t agree. Geese are looking more logical right now. We would free range them

I vote geese! I have 3 Muscovy ducks which are great if you want something very quiet but they are fairly large ducks. In my experience though, all of my ducks have been skittish, even the ones home hatched and hand raised. The geese on the other hand, while BIG, are very sweet and affectionate (towards family and familiar people anyway). We got our first geese this year from the feed mill. They were just there and I couldn't resist! Sunshine and Lollipop are my yard buddies now and have been imprinted on us since the day we brought them home. They're about 8 months old now, both boys, and still follow us all over the yard. They are territorial and will chase intruders away but get along well with the chickens (they were introduced to the flock young). Both geese and all 3 ducks coexist together with the chickens and share the same coop.

View attachment 1187609
Your geese are beautiful! :love

Back
Top Bottom