Duck & Goose Processing near Akron OH

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Eroc1_1, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Is there anyone in this area that processes ducks or geese? The nearest processor I can find is in Baltic, OH...which is about 50 miles away.

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    That's it... I'm located in Bath Township. We process all of our own poultry here on site but always recommend people to Aden Troyer of Pleasant Valley in Baltic.

You could always do them yourself, legally you can process up to 1,000 without any inspection.

3. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Brunty_Farms - We don't have that may ducks so it would make no sense to drive down there 2x. I haven't dispatched ducks, geese, or chickens so it would be a HUGE learning curve for me. PLUS, the biggie, my girls would go crazy emotional if I did it at home. Crap. Any good tips or advice?

4. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:BTW, nice website! We are in the process of buying 2.5 acres and I was hoping to do a mini version of what you are doing - for ourselves.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You can call Meyer hatchery . They have a list of processors. Michele

6. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I just called them on your advice....they don't know of anyone that does ducks....lol

7. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Brunty_Farms - We don't have that may ducks so it would make no sense to drive down there 2x. I haven't dispatched ducks, geese, or chickens so it would be a HUGE learning curve for me. PLUS, the biggie, my girls would go crazy emotional if I did it at home. Crap. Any good tips or advice?

Sounds like it is time for the "see where your meat comes from" talk. [​IMG] I was in the same boat and it was hard to find a processor. I also wanted to make sure that my birds would be dispatched quickly and with the least amount of stress. So I figured I might as well just do them myself. There are many people here to help you through the emotional and technical steps. It is easier than you might think and I believe from my own experience that it is best to have your kids involved or at least understand the process. My mom would always find something to keep me busy and then I came home and found my dead chicken in teh fridge. Would go nuts [​IMG] Good luck!

8. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    My husband and I process chickens geese and ducks for people. We are from Oklahoma so sorry doesn't help

9. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  10. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011

Sounds like it is time for the "see where your meat comes from" talk. [​IMG] I was in the same boat and it was hard to find a processor. I also wanted to make sure that my birds would be dispatched quickly and with the least amount of stress. So I figured I might as well just do them myself. There are many people here to help you through the emotional and technical steps. It is easier than you might think and I believe from my own experience that it is best to have your kids involved or at least understand the process. My mom would always find something to keep me busy and then I came home and found my dead chicken in teh fridge. Would go nuts [​IMG] Good luck!

I would be fine with killing them(that was part of the reason I got them). But it can be uneasy if you have never personally done it. I keep telling them that the un-named ones will be headed to the freezer. Plus, I have to budget to buy the right tools/equipment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by