Duck has a claw pulled out 1/2 way?

Luckyducksinbama

Chirping
Nov 2, 2021
Our female duck who we just figured out has been injured some by mating by a large drake has today other than an eye injury, a claw 1/2 way pulled out and clotted blood under her skin ? Anyone else see a claw get pulled out while mating ( their are two drakes), or have experience with a claw 1/2 way ripped out with dry blood coming out from skinvwhere claw enters?

Can you get a clear picture please? This has never happened to me, but if its still bleeding apply styptic powder and hold pressure for 10-15 minuets until it stops.
As for the eye issue, how are you treating that? We may be able to give you advice on treating that as well.

If the injury is from mating, you need to separate that drake he should not be allowed near the hens.
we put a baby fence up all day testerday and the females were soooo releived. They literally hugged us. By evening though with predators we have to coop them but thankfully my hand husbanf whipped up a wall frame that slides in the coop.,He stapled stiff 1/4 inch hardware wire cloth all over the wall frame. So, they can see each other but no touch. Late last night my husband went to check on them and the large drake was trying to bite tgrough thay wire?! Which is impossible. My husband turned on the spot lights at the coop so yhe drake coukd see the wall and he retreated to lay down. I guess I need to find a community board to rehome a drake? Pretty sure if we released him on our lake he woukf just come home?

I guess I need to find a community board to rehome a drake? Pretty sure if we released him on our lake he woukf just come home?
He may come back. The more prevalent concern is releasing domesticated ducks into the wild is illegal as it could negatively interfere with the native species gene pool. A great portion of the released birds perish as well.

Consider posting an ad on either of these links:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-thread.270925/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

Best of luck finding him a home.

Pretty sure if we released him on our lake he woukf just come home?
Sounds like your on the right track with the injuries, but I wanted to comment on this part of your post.
Releasing is a bad idea. Never release a domestic duck. He would quickly become food for arial predators, or starve. He can't fly and has no idea how to survive in the wild. Plus, if he mates with wild hens and they hatch chicks, your breeding domestic genes into wild ducks. These crossed ducklings will likely die as well.
If you can't find him a home, your best next option is to cull. At least he wont suffer from starvation, and doom wild duckling in his passing.
I'm sorry if my post above comes off as rood, just wanted to get my point across. Hoping you can find him a good home.

Sounds like your on the right track with the injuries, but I wanted to comment on this part of your post.
Releasing is a bad idea. Never release a domestic duck. He would quickly become food for arial predators, or starve. He can't fly and has no idea how to survive in the wild. Plus, if he mates with wild hens and they hatch chicks, your breeding domestic genes into wild ducks. These crossed ducklings will likely die as well.
If you can't find him a home, your best next option is to cull. At least he wont suffer from starvation, and doom wild duckling in his passing.
I'm sorry if my post above comes off as rood, just wanted to get my point across. Hoping you can find him a good home.
No not rude at all! Thank you for the help so much!!

Back
Top Bottom