Duck has a problem!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyDonna, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I've got an almost 2-year-old Indian runner named Eva. The past few days she seems fine in the morning but around mid-morning she can hardly walk. He tail drags and her abdomen is close to dragging on the ground too. She flops around and then just lays down.

I gave her a warm bath yesterday and checked her carefully for a stuck egg and found none. I palpated her abdomen and crop and they seem fine, by that I mean they weren't hard. Then I gave her some calcium glu with a syringe and managed to get most of the 10cc's in her.

Today when I let them out she seemed fine although her abdomen was hanging a bit lower than the rest of the ducks were. I decided to put her in a separate pen with her own food and water and just keep her quiet for the day. The food has B-complex and water has calcium glu in it. She is not pleased about being in the pen but I don't want her getting drowned by her sister who was busy raping her in the pool yesterday.

If anyone has any thoughts and ideas please share!

This is her standing in the corner while the rest of the ducks are having treats
    IMG_7167.JPG
    Close up of her....picture quality no so good because of enlargement
    fullsizeoutput_32a8.jpeg
    Her neck is like an "S" like this most of the time. What does that mean?
    fullsizeoutput_32a9.jpeg

2. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Crowing

Aug 14, 2018
    USA
    My Coop
    Her posture looks like she's trying to lay an egg; maybe egg-bound?

3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    That's what I thought too but I was just out there and felt for an egg. No egg is in there. I'd certainly be able to tell right? She was squishy all around her abdomen and it's hanging low.

4. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Crowing

Aug 14, 2018
    USA
    My Coop
    What are you feeding her?

5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Dumor layer pellets, a little cracked corn, mixed with some chick starter (because I recently got a young drake). They also get a basin full of treats everyday like cut up tomatoes, celery, peas, melon, cooked rice and any other approprate scraps I have. They have a little cup of oyster shells avaliable all day.

Raenh, WannaBeHillBilly and Jpat like this.
  6. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I sure hope it's neither of those! I don't keep any water in the pen so from what I just read in my duck book I doubt if it's coccidiosis.

I've seen lots of ascites in people and it's usually from a perforated bowel which sets up an infection. Which makes me wonder did she eat something that perforated her bowel?

The thing is that when I first let them out in the morning she looks almost normal and as the day goes on she gets bigger down there. Why would it reduce during the night if she had a rip-roaring infection going on in there? I'm not good on duck anatomy. Her poop looks good and normal.

8. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Oh, and her belly is not at all tight either. It's nice and soft and squishy. Once again, I don't know duck anatomy, but I do know that if people get it their belly is tight and hard as a watermelon!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

I've seen a lot of ascites in all types of poultry and so far none have been from a perforated bowel, so I don't think you need to worry about that being the cause.

The other things I've seen in birds with ascites are cancer, liver disease, and reproductive disorders.

10. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I was so hoping you'd see this. What do you think it is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: