Duck has black spots on beak

missnatalie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
My girl has these black spots near her nostrils, and she is limping. Her eye looks irittated . What should I do

My girl has these black spots near her nostrils, and she is limping. Her eye looks irittated . What should I do
Can you post a pic of her problem areas? It would help so much. look under her feet for signs of bumble foot how many drakes to ducks do you have and is she a favorite of them? give her some water in a 1 gallon bucket with 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar she'll wash her face and hopefully help her eyes, ACV has some bacterial killing properties but we would need to see a pic to determine if she may need something more. And since we aren't vets we still make mistakes, but making sure she can clean her face then addressing the limp whether it's bumble or an injury from jumping off of something or too many drakes mating we need more info and pics. Thank you.

The black spots may or may not be a problem. A photo would help.

Limping can be caused by an injury or infection. In either case, either soaking in Epsom salt water (use a small bucket or large bowl to put the feet and legs in - do not let the duck drink, because E.s. is a laxative) or soak a clean cloth in Epsom salt water and wrap the leg and foot. Do either for several minutes at a time, two or three times a day for at least three days and see.

If it is injury, the E.s. should do it, but it could take a week or so depending on the severity of the injury.

If it is infection, the soak needs to be followed with either application of triple antibiotic ointment (no pain killer), or finding the swollen spot and applying a few drops of clear iodine to the area - don't cover it - then check in 3 days. If a black scab appears, soak the foot and leg again. If the scab loosens, gently pull it and some or all of the yuck will come out. If not all, reapply the iodine and go again for 3 days. Sometimes it takes 5 days between iodine application, and the whole process will depend on the health of the duck and the severity of the infection.

For eyes - sounds like the beginnings of a problem. Saline solution misted over the eye will help, Vetericyn spray is good for this, too. There is opthalmic gel you can get. Ideally, ducks have a way to frequently wash their entire heads - this removes dust and other irritants and prevents sinus, eye and ear infections.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom