Duck has fever and outstretched legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by candira, Jan 13, 2017.

1. candira

candira Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    I was walking my ducks into their run when I noticed one of my females was laying on the ground with her legs laid out behind her. I picked her up (normally she would never let me just walk up to her and pick her up or even get close enough to touch her) when I was carrying her in I noticed her beak, feet, and legs were very hot to the touch. I put her in the bath tub with cold water which seemed to cool her down but then she was trembling. I took her out and now she is sitting in my lap still hot and panting. What is wrong??! Can I give her something for fever???

For a little background, I have a tank and the ducks go there daily to swim, I was thinking maybe something bit her? She is now and was in the tub holding her head up and she's looking around, but cannot seem to get her legs under her body, they are staying behind her. I will attach pics. Thanks for any help!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @Amiga ?
    @Miss Lydia ?

I'm sorry you are having trouble. I know nothing about ducks[​IMG] but hopefully this will bump your thread so someone with experience can help you.

3. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Poor sweet heart
    I would keep her separated from the other birds. If you think she has a fever than you can give her some elctrolytes and yogurt unless you were sure she has a fever l would not give her any mediations just so you didn't hurt her
    Just a two weeks ago, one of my drakes hurt his back l originally thought it was his leg but it turned out that he had a Nero spine injury the pictures of your duck look a lot like him. Also sense she is a girl it could be an egg stuck.
    I would let her swim in cool water for 30 minutes to an hour also try putting her leg back in place as much as possible

4. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Thank you Wyorp rock! And thank you bbchicks123, this sounds a lot like what I have been doing, glad to hear someone else would do the same. I have her inside in my bathtub. I filled up the tub and let her swim a while. She did use her legs and paddle around the tub, and drank water. After she was done swimming it seemed like her legs were working better but not right just yet. I did tuck her legs under her and she was able to leave them under her. Earlier they would flop back out. She also seemed to act more normal as well. I'm going to leave her in the tub tonight (empty tub) and I will see how she's doing in the morning! Thanks so much for you reply!!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    No problem it is my pleasure to help, it was very stressful when l was going through it with my duck hops, he unfortunately pasted away do to re-injuring his back l do not want someone to have to go through what l did though the other BYCers were very helpful keep us posted

6. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Well this morning she seems much better (fever seems like it's gone) but still can't walk. I let her swim in the tub for an hour. She paddles around, drinks water, and seems to enjoy it. I emptied the tub again and gave her food and a bowl of water. She went to town eating and drinking, I keep tucking her legs under her and she can keep them in that position but can't get up. So I'm going to just keep watching her. Oh and this morning when I went to check on her she had laid an egg in the tub. So we'll see what happens I guess. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  7. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Cool glad she doing better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by