Duck has green spots beak

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StephMagee, Oct 31, 2014.

1. StephMagee

StephMagee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    My female Pekin duck Daisy has green spots on her beak. Her beak is normal color with the green spots. They are small spots and from a distance kind of look like dirt spots. That's what we thought they were until we tried to wipe them off. Any idea of what they could be? Can get a pic tomorrow if needed.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Are they raised spots or just a different colour from the rest of her bill?

3. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    Just a different color. You can't feel them when you touch them

4. hennible

Ok, I wonder if it like my ducks then... Different breeds mind you... But as they closed in on six months their bills started to change colours there where speckles in areas of the bill, now my males have green bills and my females have speckled bills ( black and pale orange )

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  5. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    She's about 7 months old, so that could be whats going on. My make duck is the same age and I haven't noticed the spots on his. Just as long as its nothing to worry about!!

6. hennible

Well hope that's all it is :)

7. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    Me too! I'll try get get a good pic of the spots tomorrow. I just looked at the ones I have and you can't see the spots in them.

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    It's totally normal on laying females. When they get of age sometimes they get greenish-brown spots on their bill due to hormones. It's like the "mask of pregnancy", but with ducks. She should be fine. :)

Is this what she looks like?

[​IMG]

9. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    Yes that what she looks like. But it's not as much. I got called into work today so didn't get a chance to get a pic. Just glad to know it's nothing serious!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by