Duck has parasites but WHAT are they!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicks & ducks, Aug 4, 2014.

1. chicks & ducks

chicks & ducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Sorry in advance to be so gross, but there's just no nice way to talk about this.

We have 3 lil ducks in the house-one((Peeps)) was motherless from day one so has been coming in at night. Another one ((Carrots)) (about 2 weeks older) was severely injured (massive open gash on neck) and needed to be kept in and bandaged with fresh bandages every day. The 3rd duck(Taters)) was the only sibling to Carrots and separating them caused stress for both Carrots and Taters so it was best to bring her in too. SO at night there are 3 baby ducks sleeping in a dog cage in the house....

Tonight I was spending some quality time with the baby (peeps) and the injured-nearly completely recovered) Carrots. When I moved them ONE of them had recently done a poo.....and it was moving! Definitely worms. But the thing is-they looked flat. Aren't tape worms flat? I did a lil research and read that it's uncommon for ducks to get tapeworm but I have no idea what else it could be.
    AND...then they sort of congealed into a white blob an died. blech!

SO....
    I need thoughts on 2 different questions.
    1. do I just use an all rounder like panacure for them?

2. Do WE need to be treated?! I've been pretty strict about cleaning up after them in the morning-they are on puppy pads and newspaper which I can just roll up and dispose of each morning. BUT that doesn't mean accidents don't happen as they walk themselves to the front door to go outside.

Blech blech blech... not looking forward to a call to the dr to say-hey, got anything i can take for worms! Still-it'd be even worse to have them I suppose.

2. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Have you ever heard of diatomaceous earth? its all natural and works as a wormer for humans and animals. its a fine white powder that tastes like chalk/dirt but if you put it in a smoothy you'd never know its there. im pretty sure you can buy it cheap on amazon

3. chicks & ducks

chicks & ducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Yep! just ordered some for myself after hours and hours of reading about it. Today I also picked up some for the critters as well as a pellet wormer(safegaurd). Gave lil duck just a few pieces. (it's 1lb per 1000lbs of cow). Fingers crossed.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Sounds like flatworms. Dunno what species, though. I'm glad you got the dewormer though, please let us know if it works!

5. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    sounds like all should go well!! good luck!

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by