Duck has really thick membrane

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shellchick, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Shellchick

Shellchick In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2019
    My duck has really think membranes in all her eggs and extremely tough shells. She's a Peking. Is that normal? Hard for even me to break open one let alone a baby duck hatching.

2. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    How is the membrane tough? - In comparison to other duck eggs or compared to chicken eggs.?
    When our ducks started to lay, we were shocked about how thick and sturdy the egg shells were and how tough the membrane was. - All we knew were store bought chicken eggs whose shells are fragile and membranes which rupture when being looked at.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

What are you feeding? I feed a Grower finisher and only supply calcium in oyster shells in a small bowl once a week.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

My Muscovy ducks eggs are very thick and membrane is thick my Runners and Buffs egg shells aren't near as thick @CrystaBub has Pekin maybe she can weigh in. Also @onaharley and @CayugaJana

quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  5. Shellchick

Jun 22, 2019
    Like the baby duck can break the egg shell but not the membrane. None of my baby ducks will hatch alone because the membrane is like a thick almost elastic/ paper. They break the shell then the membrane shrink wraps with no holes. I have actually tried to save a few and I have to use micro scissors to get through. I've lost every one because of this weither they sit on them to hatch or incubator

quackiemama and chickens really like this.
  6. Shellchick

Jun 22, 2019
    Yes I have a little oyster shell in my laying feed as I was suggested to because my chickens started eating eggs

quackiemama and casportpony like this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

So you feed a layer feed to Birds you want to hatch eggs from...That's the issue plus the addition of oyster shell..

Wolfefarmyard likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

I have feed layer and keep out oyster shell year round and my eggs have no problems hatching. Please explain thanks

quackiemama likes this.
  9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    what do you mean? If you feed your ducks oyster shell in addition to the layer feed they will have a problem? I've never heard of that before!

quackiemama likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

@Shellchick how many ducks do you have and is only one having the thick membrane?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: