Duck hasn't laid in awhile. Questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ticks, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My Rouen duck hen was laying an egg a day, then an egg every other day. Now I have not gotten an egg from her in a week or so. I have not changed her diet at all.

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Sorry I can't help, but I am interested in what others have to say. I have a Pekin who was laying an egg a day but today is the third day in a row with no white egg. I suspect she may be moulting as there are quite a few feathers in her pen. Could your Rouen hen be moulting?

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:No, she is not moulting. I wonder why she isn't laying.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    my ducks haven't begun laying yet after their molt. Ming Mei laid almost through her entire molt but lately stopped. I have't had an egg in at least a week and a half now, maybe longer... I just think my lazy ducks are taking a break. lol.

5. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    My two ducks had the same problem earlier this month. I gave them more exercise time, a boost of calcium (in case they were laying shell-less eggs since I found one), and a boost of niacin as I realized that the feed I was giving them had a lower amount than was recommended for ducks.

In the end though I think it was just the weather that was messing with them. They started to trail off when an unseasonal cold spell came on, and then it was cloudy and windy all day and night for two weeks and they pretty much stopped laying. Now that the sun is out and the hot weather has hit us they are both laying again.

6. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    oooh, it was windy here for several days! The weather was much calmer today and wouldn't you know it, I got an egg! Thanks for the insight Ravenstorm!

7. taras.farm

taras.farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Eastern Ontario
    Those crazy ducks. My rouens have been quite dependable but then again they may be spoiled...hmm
    I give them extra light in the early spring in their night house and keep them separated from the boys so they aren't harassd to much in the wee hours of the morning....then its its off for a swim and pasture grazing.
    They do fall off the chart one day a week...it's normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by