Duck Hatch-A-Long ~ Wanna Join?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have a dozen Magpie eggs coming and then a dozen mixed duck eggs coming. Currantly I have one Magpie drake, Inky, and then a pair of White Calls. Thought Inky needed some girlfriends his size. Plus I would like some large sized duck eggs as the Call eggs will either be in the incubator or up for auction.

Anyway, the Magpie eggs should be arriving in the next couple of days, and the mixed duck eggs will be here sometime next week. Anyone else setting duck eggs?

Okay, now I've hatched duck eggs before, last year, but need to get this straight as it's been awhile since I've hatched them! They are the same as chicken eggs, but they need higher humidity during the incubator period, and during lockdown, correct? Also, how long is the incubation period? Lets get this thread going! Surely I'm not the only one hatching duck eggs!

~ Aspen

2. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    I should be setting eggs again on Thursday assuming all the shipped eggs arrive tomorrow as expected. Normally I just hang out on the Hatch Day thread, but I'll join your hatch-a-long.

I'm going to have:

12 penciled Runners from Holderread lines (from a BYC'er)
    7 Rouen (from a BYC'er)
    12 Saxony
    5 assorted Runners from Holderread lines (from my boss)
    5 barnyard mix (my own ducks)

3. Goin Quackrrs

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    Oops, didn't get around to answering your questions.

All ducks except Muscovy incubate for 28 days. I'm doing 50% humidity until lockdown and at lockdown 70-80%. I've got a Hovabator Genesis so it's easy peasy. I love not having to constantly mess with the thermostat.

4. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    Are call duck eggs 28 days too? I thought I read they hatch around 25-26?

I'll join too but will have to hang out for the most part. I have ordered some call duck eggs but since I have only hatched eggs once, I chickened out and am having someone hatch them for me. They should arrive today, and be set tomorrow.

5. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio

call duck eggs are 25-26.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Okay great! I'll be incubating them in a Genesis HB as well. I'm hoping to candle my chicken eggs that are in it right now tonight and then clean out my Sportsman and move the chicken eggs over there and then put all the duck eggs in the HB. I can keep the humidity higher in it. I will be hatching some Buff and Chocolate Calls later on. The breeder is just now getting eggs from them so it will be a couple of months. I really like my White Call pair and would like to have a couple more colors to raise. Hoping I have a good hatch rate, but I will probably not be able to keep all the ducklings. I only have one pen for duck right now as the ducks cannot share a run with the chickens 'cause they're so messy. Hoping to add a couple more runs to my breeding barn so I can separate the Calls off. So egg-cited! Just love hatching big duck eggs! Fun, fun, fun!

~ Aspen

7. Goin Quackrrs

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    My eggs arrived today, so they'll be going in tomorrow! [​IMG]

8. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll join in! I just set 7 call duck eggs today, my first time with them! Also I have no idea what colors could be hatching. I was given a list of possibilities so I'm curious what will hatch. I am using a Brinsea mini advance for these little guys.

9. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    This is cool! I'm setting Call ducks for the first time, too. Going to set them tomorrow, woohoo!

10. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    Wow lots of call ducks getting set at the same time this should be fun! Mine arrived yesterday -no visible cracks in any so one dozen will be set today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by