Duck hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FluffyChickenMama, Jul 5, 2007.

1. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    This is so cute I had to share it. When my daughters duck started setting her eggs that are unfertilized I felt sorry for her that she would set there so long with nothing to show for it.. So I took a couple of fertile chicken eggs, not thinking that she would actually hatch them. I thought it would at least give her a shot at hatching. A couple of days ago I told DH that I was gonna get the eggs out an throw them away so she would go back to normal.. Well.. I forgot.. So this is what I found this morning...

Sorry the pic is so small.. I couldnt resize it..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh my! THATS CUTE!! Is she a Muscovy? Make sure she doesnt try to teach them to swim. What a good ducky...errr...chicken momma!

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    That is cute. I am glad you did'nt throw them out. I always heard of chickens hatching duck eggs and the momma going crazy when the little duckling play in the water. I bet that momma duck thinks her babies are doing some strange things.

4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Yes she is a Muscovy and the babies are RIR... she doesnt play in water herself.. she just sticks her head in a bucket and throws it on her back.. she has a kiddie pool and will NOT get in it.. I am so glad I forgot about the eggs.. Shes gonna be, or already is, one confused duck.. she has been with chicks since she was about 8-10 hrs old and now she has hatched baby chicks... she even ROOSTS with the chickens... lol... I really dont think she knows shes a duck...

5. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    That is so cute! I once had a duck that hatched a little chicken. Sadly when I wasn't watching she led it into my swimming pool. Just be very careful and good luck!

6. ann

ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    ava,missouri
    I had a duck that hatched out some chicks a couple of months ago.Since she is free-range and likes to play in water,I was afraid that she would try and get them to swim,so I took them away and tried to replace with duck eggs,but then she stopped setting.At that time I had some ducks that were about a month old which she thought they was hers.She is setting again,I do hope the eggs are feritle,she is on(the eggs are hers)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by