duck hatcheries

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bibliophile birds, Dec 22, 2009.

1. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

the only hatchery that i've found that has a really good selection of ducks is Nature's Hatchery (and McMurray to a lesser extent). does anyone know of any other good duck hatcheries?

edited to fix typo

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I got my eggs that I incubated from Metzer and was really happy with them.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

4. alandra_lee

alandra_lee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    I got my ducklings from Purely Poultry this fall. They arrived healthy and grew beautifully. All 10 would still be alive if a hawk hadn't taken out one of the adults a few weeks ago.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i highly suggest Metzer out of California

6. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Metzer has all of the breeds listed on Purely Poultry plus a few utility hybrids... I'm swiftly becoming a fan of their Golden Layers. All three in my order are adorable, hardy and smart as whips. Nonetheless, Holderread can't be beat and if I'd have known I could order from them so easily before I placed my Metzer order, I would have gone there instead.

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I HIGHLY recommend Country Hatchery. Two reasons. First and foremost the owner is wonderful to deal with...and yes, you deal directly with the owner. Secondly, our ducks arrived all healthy and happy. He sent out great directions for caring for them and it really helped. We have White Muscovies from him. They are huge and surprisingly friendly...but then that is what happens when your three kids raise them. [​IMG]

8. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Howdy, Thanks for the shout out about our ducks. http://www.purelypoultry.com/ducklings-c-186.html We do carry 14 breeds of ducks plus several more duck varieties. We do carry the utility hybrids as well as the pure breeds and pairs of Mandarins and Wood ducks. I am the owner and operator of Purely Poultry so you would be dealing directly with me. I look forward to helping you any way possible.

9. bibliophile birds

Quote:you're right. i should have listed what i'm interested in. i'm aiming for maybe around 12 ducks this first go round, with good variety.

- i mostly want decent layers as i'd like to sell eggs for baking (since most people aren't interested in eating duck eggs, which i don't understand), but they don't need to crank out the eggs.
    - i need ducks with good temperaments. not flighty, not aggressive, not extremely likely to fly off and abandon me. [​IMG]
    - i'm interested in meat quality and size, as i'd like to process some for myself.
    - and they have to be pretty. i know that sounds shallow, but i like pretty ducks.
    - oh, and i'm particularly interested in heritage and ALBC endangered breeds.

breeds i'm interested in (so far): Cayuga (black, blue, crested), Silver Appleyard, Saxony, Ancona (blue & white), Buff (standard, crested), White Crested, and Golden Cascade

thanks for the info so far! look forward to seeing what everyone thinks.

10. bibliophile birds

Quote:unfortunately, i don't think you have the duck variety i'm looking for. never fear, however, because i'm definitely ordering chicks from you soon. you are the only hatchery i've found that carried Blue Marans! and you've got the best selection of d'Anvers and d'Uccles!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by