Duck Hatching 101

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jshels, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jshels

jshels New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Hi Everyone!

We run a not for profit program that rents incubators and eggs to nursing homes and schools and we then brings the hatchlings back to our farm.

Our chick hatching program has had great success. Ducks have been less successful.

The eggs are all fertile and hatched in Lyon TX-6s. We just don't have great results from it. I'm wondering if there is anybody who might be interested in taking a look through our Duck Hatching 101 booklet and give me some feedback. I inherited this program from someone who retired and am by no means an expert duck (or chicken hatcher).

Thanks in advance!

Jon

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

Sure let me see if I can help...

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    What kind of ducks have you been trying to hatch?? Where's the booklet??

4. jshels

jshels New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks for your help everyone!

The booklet is here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12366125/Duck Hatching instructions.doc

Primarily Indian Runners, sometimes we've done Pekins.

I've just taken over the program in the last year so I am by no means an expert but definitely love being a part of the hatching community and the opportunity to introduce it to so many kids.

Thanks again,
    Jon

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Jon, anyone, did you see and could you help the person on the thread about a duckling due to hatch but there is a dark spot on the egg? Does she need to intervene? I have no hatching experience.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    If you go to my website www.lwbarnhouse.com click on the duck tab, underneath that I have TWO methods of hatching ducks. It's really basic and easy to follow.

I disagree with some of the information though, they shouldn't be on Newspapers or shavings, when they hatch there legs are weak and newspaper and shavings is slipper making it difficult for them to get strength in there little legs. Could cause more problems then one need.

Another thing, when they do hatch, they should not be allowed to go swimming for the 1st week reason why is because they have not developed there oil that covers them to help them stay afloat. So as a precautionary, they should not be allowed to go swimming, there fur is like a sponge and can weigh them down and they could drown.

These are just some thoughts.

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Send me a Pic if you can let me see it. When's the due date?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by