Duck hatching chicken eggs- interesting!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrogDoc, Oct 4, 2012.

1. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    Our duck has been broody all summer. She built a nest and was becoming aggressive toward our chickens and us. One day I put a warm chicken egg underneath her, hoping it would give her something to do. Well, soon the chickens began laying their eggs under her. Now, they will peck at her until she moves, they'll go lay an egg on her nest, and the duck will return when she's done. It's actually really funny to watch!

Anyway, yesterday I went into the coop and found a fluffy little yellow chick in the middle of the coop, and the poor thing had obviously been pecked to death. [​IMG] I called a friend for advice on what to do, and today my DH is going to fence off part of the coop so the baby chicks will be safe (we were warned to make sure the duck was being a good momma) and is going to cut a little door in the side and fence in a small enclosure so the duck and chicks can get outside but not co-mingle with our bigger chickens. I'm sure we'll re-integrate the duck once she's done, but for now we'll leave her in. We're planning on putting a heat lamp to keep the babies warm (it's getting down into the 40s here at night).

Anyway, I thought it was very interesting and thought I'd share. And, if anyone has any thoughts or insight, or a similar experience, I'd appreciate your sharing!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't bother with the heat lamp. Mom can keep them warm enough. It's going down to 32 at night here, and my broodies are fine with their chicks.

I am really curious to see how she does as a mother to chicks, as I have a muscovy that seriously wants babies, but I am afraid that she won't do well with chicks.

3. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    That's good to know.. I was a bit worried about having a heat lamp in the coop but couldn't think of another option. I'll certainly let you know how our experiment works out! Thanks for your thoughts!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I only provide a heat lamp if mother abandons babies or if I hatched them in an incubator. Hopefully you won't need one!

Pictures too!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by