Duck hatching help asap!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Islandmom511, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Islandmom511

Islandmom511 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    So it's been 36 hours since the first pip and they have made some progress, but not a ton. There's 3-4 pips in a row, but they still have a long way to go. I emailed the farm I got the eggs from for advice and they said I need the help the ducks out ASAP! he seemed very urgent about it...and he says I should do it under water? Does anyone have any videos for me to watch or advice or anything, as this is my first hatch and i am very nervous to intervene [​IMG]

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They can take 48 hours to fully hatch on their own. They rest often and for long periods during hatch, and NO do not submerge the egg in water and help it hatch that will drown the duckling. Make sure you humidity is up and the temp is stable. They are nothing like chicks when it comes to hatching.

Our last round of call duck took 3 days to get everyone hatched from internal pip, to external pip to zip and out.

Shellie

3. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:That is what I thought! I remember you telling me that yesterday...but he seemed very urgent that it has been more than 24 hours and I should help. [​IMG]

4. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Oh and the one where you can see inside the membrane is very dry and white. Is it supposed to be like that?

5. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Get some warm water and a qtip to wet the membrane. Make sure you add a little warm water to the bator to help the humidity and temp stay stable. Post a picture if you can also. Would help give more advice. I am going out to feed and turn everyone loose, will check on you when I come back in.

Shellie

6. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:So it's okay to open the bator to add water and wet the membrane?

7. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Looks good, yes it is ok to add water, move quickly, have the q-tip wet and ready touch the membrane add the water and close it up quick.

9. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I had to help one of my 7 ducklings out, it didn't follow the same pattern as the others so I decided it was too long and just went slowly. She is now a crazy healthy duck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by