Duck Hatching Intervention after internal pip?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bobbimarks, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Bobbimarks

Bobbimarks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    My ducking internally pipped about 24 hours ago. I am afraid it's going to suffocate before it pips through its shell, as was the fate of our previous egg. Is it safe to poke a pin hole through the egg to prevent suffocation? I don't know if the egg shells are to thick? The parent ducks are fairly young, born in April. This is our first experience trying to hatch...and so far, not so good! If I would poke a little hole, is there anything I need to do after, or just put it back and let it be?

2. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Yes, it's safe to put a hole in it. They normally have 2-3 days of air inside if they've developed correctly. That's not always the case if the air cell is smaller than it should be. Have you candled it to make sure there's still movement?

This is a great guide to assisted hatching-->https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.

[​IMG]

3. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    I did poke a hole in it last night, turned up the humidity a bit in the incubator, and it was still moving this morning. It was cheeping nicely last night.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I've had some ducklings take well over 24 hours to pip externally, then another 24 to zip, so try to be patient. [​IMG]

-Kathy

5. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    It's been about 20 hrs since we poked our little hole. When we got home this afternoon, he was cheeping and we can see his bill wiggling around the hole. Doesn't look like much if any progression, though. Not sure how long to leave him in the state? Is it possible the shell is too thick? I'm not familiar with the average thickness of a duck egg shell. I know our chickens that are about the same age and same diet, are laying pretty thick shells yet. Also, the duck egg shells are quite a bit tougher, still, than our chickens.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I say be patient and give it a little more time. Maybe @Lacrystol can offer some advice?

-Kathy

7. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    You're probably okay. I do a lot of hatching as well, and I see that a lot. Can you tell us what breed the duckling is? Ducklings with longer bills, meaning mostly ducklings other than Calls, can usually manage pretty well on their own. I do remember one time I had to assist a few East Indies, and they don't have short bills. Their shells were so hard that it was sort of hard for me to even chip them. Also, do you have a still air or forced air incubator, and what are your temp and humidity in the incubator? If the incubator has been dry and he's shrink wrapped in his egg, he's probably not going to be able to get out without assistance no matter how long his bill is.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    Humidity was no les than 40, during incubation. But a bit erratic. It's a forced air incubator. Right now it's at 85% humidity and 98 degrees. I'm sure I messed up the humidity as well by checking on him too often.
    We have 5 males: 2 gray runners, 1 Rouen , 1 Buff and 1 khaki Campbell I am betting on one of the gray runners as the daddy. As far as the female, I suspect the egg is from either my Pekin or Buff. Best guess due to size would be Buff.
    This is our first time trying to incubate eggs...and I am definitely learning A LOT. Especially of WHAT NOT TO DO!!!

9. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    [​IMG]
    It looks it may have possibly chipped a bit off? And I noticed a few little cracks, but not sure if that was from making the hole or from the duckling. At least I now have a picture I can compare it to later tonight.

10. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    That is extremely high humidity and kind of low temp for a forced air incubator during lockdown of a single egg. I keep mine at 65% RH under most circumstances and 99 F. Now I'm wondering if he might be sticky instead of shrink wrapped. Can you peek in the hole to see if he looks gooey? Do you know exactly what day of incubation he's on right now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by