Duck Hatching when do you help ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quackcrazy, May 17, 2009.

1. quackcrazy

quackcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Hello everyone!! we have our first duck to start to hatching !! the duckling started friday evening and sill hasnt came out of its shell does the baby need help ??? I have read that when u do try ,and if u see blood,u stop correct ? I have been very lightly misting so the outer membrane would not get dry.

2. RRT114

RRT114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Pittston, PA
    I don't help. It's all up to mother nature in my incubator. Any time i have ever helped a chick out when I first started to incubate eggs, it always turned out bad.

Ryan

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We just had 16 of 16 eggs hatch. They do take a long time. I kept making sure the membrane wasn't dried out. I used a warm damp paper towel to wet membrane. I did have 1 that had the membrane "shrink wrap" and I helped by tearing the membrane a bit, but let the duckling do the rest. He seemed to be asking for help. one of the other duckling already hatched was trying to help him out too. otherwise if help too soon they may come out with yolk still attached and come out weaker. We had this happen too when DH was sure they needed help. Luckily all is well with all of them now. I know it's hard to be patient. It doesn't seem like all of them can do it themselves, but in most cases they should be able to take care of themselves. Good luck!

4. quackcrazy

quackcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    thank-ya for the info, this is our first time and can you say Nervous ! I have been putting a damp piece of cloth on the egg so the membrane doesnt dry.Thanks again for the info I have to finish building another incubator the first one is full !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by