Duck Having seizures...daughters therapy pet...please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Slange16, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Slange16

Slange16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    I have a two year old Cayuga duck. Until 4 days ago he has been extremely healthy. Then he started having seizures. I am a single mom of 7 and disabled so do not have much money. I scraped up what I had left and took him in to the emergency vet two nights ago. Doc put him on phenobarbital and gave him a vitamin shot and some fluids. Next day had 18 seizures and can barely hold his head up or stand. Got him some vitamins and electrolytes to put in his water and changed his food. He's drinking a lot and taking his meds but won't eat. Can anyone please help me out in this matter? My daughter has cried herself to sleep and I can't afford another vet bill. I am beside myself as to what to do. His poop is green and watery if that helps. He tries to talk to me when I give his water and meds. But he lays back down like he can't stand up.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    What are all the meds you give him, what is his diet and what did you change it too, could any of your children given him something they were not supposed too. Was he ever dropped ( like ever..) and has he even been hit or squeezed too tight. lastly has he ever injested soap or any kind of cleaner.

3. Slange16

Feb 29, 2016
    Doc just gave him phenobarbital for seizures and only thing we are giving him is the vitamins and electrolytes from feed store. We changed his food to a food with a 18% or higher protein Content. He stays in a certain room and is not anywhere near soap or cleaners, eat. Kids don't give him anything. Only daughter feeds him and gives treats. Never been dropped or squeezed

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    ok then it is probably genetic there isn't really anything that can be done for it unless it goes away from the doctors medication or on its own.

one more question what are the living conditions, you say it is a room does he have access to greens and sun and fresh swimming water?

5. Slange16

Feb 29, 2016
    He lives in a bedroom with my daughter and he has a huge cage that takes up most of the room. He is in front of a window and he gets the free use of the tub. Hope that helps. I keep reading about niacin deficiency or low blood sugar. Should I try to treat this as well to see?

6. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    You might want to get him tested for it before treating for it. Get him some grass and let him go outside more once it gets warm. Exercise might help as well.

7. Slange16

Feb 29, 2016
    OK thank you. I already dropped everything in savings to take him in the first time. I have no more money to take him back in for the blood work

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope @casportpony is still here I'd like her opinion

Usually we see Niacin def in young duckling and neurological issues can be one sign also lameness kind of unusual for a 2 yr old duck to be deficient but always a possibility it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some brewers yeast over top of his feed if he's eating or buy " plain niacin" not flush free or time released and put into his water if you get tablets crush well 125 megs to 1 gal of water keep mixed so the niacin doesn't all sink to the bottom Or 1 tab to 1 cup of feed.

Does he get outside at all sunshine and fresh air are important for health. Before he started having seizures?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC. If he were mine I would tube fluids and dextrose to him. Will your vet sell you a catheter and syringe for tubing? Both dehydration and low blood sugar can cause seizures, so that's how I would deal with it. Get tubing supplies and I will teach you how to tube.

-Kathy

10. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I am by no means an expert but did find this chart. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/diagnostic chart.htm most of the way down they identify a number of reasons a duck might have seizures. As for the poop color that might indicate something either eaten or an intestinal infection of some sort. I wish the best for you and hope he improves soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by