Duck head injury.....HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jennn27, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    We had our ducklings out today, trying to get them used to being handled, and one of them slipped and hit his head on the table. At first he couldn't stand up straight at all. Now he can stand but he is having trouble walking. He falls all over his own feet while trying to walk. He's eating, drinking and pooping ok and seems ok,otherwise. He is isolated away from the other ducks, just so we can keep an eye on him. Is this something I need to worry about, or will he improve on his own?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would want a vet to see him - it could be serious.

At the same time, I have read about serious injuries, and ducklings recovering well.

I would give him some B vitamins and electrolytes, keep him quiet, and watch him closely. I reckon that ducklings can get concussions just like we can - so interacting with him frequently would be good. Like every couple of hours if possible, wake him up, see how he walks around.

I don't know if it would be good to put a little cool wet washcloth against his head for a few minutes to reduce risk of swelling, like they do for people with concussions. I would not want him chilled, but a little coolness - not ice - on his head might be a safe thing to do. I am just trying to reason out the best treatment based on human experience. When I hit my head when I was a kid, I remember my mom constantly waking me up - I was annoyed - but the doc told her not to let me stay asleep for more than a few hours.

Of course, you might like to sleep tonight!

I would not give anything like aspirin.

3. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Didn't see this last night,but he made it through the night just fine. There doesn't seem to be any swelling, but I will keep an eye on it. Thank you!

4. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    UPDATE: He's doing better. His balance is still off a tad, but it's slowly coming back. Still eating/drinking/pooping normally and still loves bath-time! [​IMG]

5. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    [​IMG]

6. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Welcome to BYC cant wait to see pics!

7. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thanks!! Yeah....very relieved. I was pretty worried about him at first. My husband is out of town for work,and every time he calls he asks about the duck. lol He was worried, too. [​IMG]

8. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX

Yeah....I just gotta figure out how to post pics. I use TinyPic, but for some reason the links don't work right on this forum. How do you guys post yours??

9. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Im a bit of a try hard photographer so I have a very good camera that I plug into the computer then move the pics into a folder on the computer. I have lots of folders in the 'My Pictures' folder. When you want to upload a pic, click the little picture icon in the section above. If you hover your mouse cursor over the tools above where you write the text, one will say 'insert picture' click that.

A little upload box will come up. Click the button that says 'upload file' then it will let you select from your computer in a new window. Go through your files and click on the one you want to use. A new box comes up asking what size you like (medium is the default) and there will be a load line. I usually click the 'submit' button before it finishes loading, it seems to hurry it up.

All going well, your photo should now be in your post.

Hope this helps!

10. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX

Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by