Duck help - need to up calcium

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tastockwell, May 19, 2019.

1. tastockwell

tastockwell Chirping

Dec 16, 2012
    First, she’s laying VERY soft eggs. She has been laying for months but won’t stay in one place. I know she’s depleting her own calcium I don’t know how to get her to stop. She won’t eat the oyster shell and I’m at a loss what else to give her. Also any tips to get her to stop laying? Maybe pen her so she has to stay in a small area? Currently she free ranges the yard. We also have chickens and dogs which could be why she won’t stay in one spot... advice appreciated.

Welsh Harlequin is her breed and we have a Swedish Blue. Both were given to us around 3-4mths of age.

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    My ducks love to eat eggshells. They prefer these to the oyster shell I buy them.

123RedBeard likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Can you catch her and give her calcium pills or liquid calcium orally?

Alaskan likes this.
  4. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Just feed her Layer, most birds can self regulate but not all. My first flock had a few that never could. It may have been because I was unaware they had started laying and didn't have the Oyster shell out yet. That flock had to have layer ration, nothing else I could do.

That rooster (just like all my roosters) paid little attention to their layer food and ate what he could find when free ranging. In fact it doesn't seem to matter what I feed them, the roosters prefer to hunt their own.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Could you give her a nest of fake eggs to sit on?

Or does she have zero interest in going broody?

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: