Duck Help Needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animallvr, May 11, 2011.

1. animallvr

animallvr New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    I had three baby ducks born yesterday....two are doing great but one is not so well. He is still very wet appearance and his feet are pointed inward compared to straight out as they should be. He is very very small. I just put him back in the incubator hoping he dries up some. He is drinking and eating.... anyone have any ideas so he can survive???

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Try adding some infant vitamins(PolyViSol without iron) to his water to get him jump started.
    Make sure he's under a heat lamp so he can dry-putting him back in the incubator may make it take longer for him to dry out and fluff up.

3. animallvr

animallvr New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Ok he is now separated in his own tank, with a water bowl with the vitamin drops and a heat lamp. He is shaking horribly but keeps chirping... it appears to be only his right leg that is formed inwards. He does walk to a degree before bobbling over. But has that very wet look still and very small.

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Don't sweat it. They are sometimes that way from being stuck in the egg for so long. It usually goes away within 2 days.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    He may not actually be wet-I just hatched out some ducklings myself last night and they still look a bit wet, but it's actually more of a sticky/gummy thing from the membrane. They are also wobbly on their feet, but getting better.
    I find ducklings take longer to get on their feet than chicks.
    Sure hope he does OK for you!

6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    when they first come out they sometimes look quite a mess and seem pretty weak. If you're giving him the vitamin water and keeping him under a lamp he should perk up soon. Ducks are extremely hardy little things [​IMG]

7. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    He sounds like he'll do alright with alittle TLC. Hatching is hard work!
    Maybe putting him with a younger duckling could help. you dont want him trampled, but he shouldn't be alone either!

Good Luck,
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by