duck help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RobbysRoost, Apr 18, 2011.

1. RobbysRoost

RobbysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    I have a lone baby mallerd and i have a few questions. First, can I just feed him chick starter? Second, can I put two chicks in with him? They are the some size and I would clean the water every day. Third, how old is he? I am just starting to see pinfeathers.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. RobbysRoost

Aug 22, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    Does he need a friend? My chicks are to small.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    He'd likely be much much happier with a friend of his own kind (another duck, not necessarily another mallard).
    You can feed the chick starter, but search here or online for what medicated chick starter is ok. One type of medication is fine for ducks, others, not so much.

5. RobbysRoost

Aug 22, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    Is F.R.M. ok?

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

For maximum growth. . . diet that provides 20 to 22 percent protein up to 2 weeks of age, then drop to 15-16%
    Young waterfowl require two or three times more niacin in their diet than chicks - One symptom of a niacin problem in ducks is leg issue.
    a niacin supplement should be added to their feed or water.
    Niacin is a b vitamin. You can get it in the form of brewer's yeast (you can get the tablets at Walmart). Sprinkle it on the bird's feed or mix it in...You can crush some tablets and mix it in with the chick starter or put 100mg per gallon water.
    You can also get elctrolyte vitamin packs and add to water .
    Feed him greens. lettuce PEAS. bugs. etc.
    Previously thought to be harmful to ducks, the latest veterinary science claims that neither Amprolium nor Bacitracin are toxic to ducks. THe chick str has the AMP and the 15% grower has BAC... so u should be okay with FRM grower... just add niacin or vitamins pak to water.

oh ,, he needs a duckie friend , or 2 , or 3 !! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by