Duck & Hen Coop/Run Design Pictures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by culturalinfidel, Jul 19, 2019.

1. culturalinfidel

culturalinfidel Chirping

Jan 4, 2017
    Seattle
    We are looking at adding a couple of ducks to our flock and wanted to see pictures of combo coops/runs. We have never had ducks before but my better half really wants to add a couple to our urban flock. Any tips and info is also greatly appreciated!

2. courtsmarans

courtsmarans Chirping

Jun 8, 2019
    NW Ohio
    I might be mistaken (as i have not yet explored it) but i think there are "My Coop" articles. That would be a helpful place to check out!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you planning on ducks and chickens living in the same coop....or separately?

4. culturalinfidel

culturalinfidel Chirping

Jan 4, 2017
    Seattle

Originally when I made this post, I was thinking same coop. But, now after thinking on it, we will be building a separate coop for the ducks in a completely different part of the yard. We already have a pond in our front yard so we are going to put the duck coop/run area out there.

aart likes this.
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    How many ducks?

Ducks poop a lot. If they are fenced all the time I recommend more than the 10 square feet per bird that is often quoted for chickens.

Duck housing is easy. They don't need roosts or nest boxes. Just something secure and low to the ground (easy to climb in/out). Also give them some bedding to nestle down in and lay eggs in. They often choose to sleep outdoors, so if you give them a fully fenced (including roof) space that allows them to sleep outdoors they will like that. Think dog house.

I recently changed my setup and the pool is in a fenced area that is different/separate to the area where they are locked when no one is home and locked over night. It really helps keep the muck down to have the pool in a very separate area than their sleeping (and laying) area.

Here is a link to the duck section:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/ducks.30/

and here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

and here is a link to duck housing:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-pond-pool-pictures.320654/

and coops in general:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

6. culturalinfidel

culturalinfidel Chirping

Jan 4, 2017
    Seattle
    This is what we are thinking: 20190722_102726.jpg

The coop itself will be built against the planter box. I have a pond pump to install still for our murky old pond. Only planning on 2 ducks. We can easily adjust to have pond closed to them if needed.

7. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    I would also think about ease of HUMAN access to the duck house. Can you easily reach in it for egg collection and cleaning in that location?

8. culturalinfidel

culturalinfidel Chirping

Jan 4, 2017
    Seattle
    Yup! there is a 3' walking path behind that area and then a row of blueberry bushes. Plenty of room for access. Hard to tell in pic, I know.

9. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    They are gonna love that pond!

culturalinfidel likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ...and @culturalinfidel will love it if they have a easy way to drain and clean it. ;)

culturalinfidel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: