Duck hen suffering terribly--bumble foot plus (Update: NOW PICS)

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Khaki Campbell hen
26 weeks old
Formerly very active, typical joy-filled Campbell.
Has already done some laying

No nasal discharge or eye foam; no wheezy breathing.

Has stopped laying

lags behind others, walking slowly.
often off by herself just standing there or plopped on the ground. At times almost seems to be ‘hiding’. Sometimes sleeping, often though just looking straight ahead.

Generally separating herself from the 12 others.
They all swim, she didn’t even attempt to get in.

I am not even aware she eats, though she does SIP at the water bowl extensively. Yet even her drinking is not with gusto

Did gobble down a couple worms I tossed to her yesterday.

Seems to be favoring her left foot somewhat—actually I think she is in extreme pain. Other birds yesterday simply trampled her when she was in their path. Not even a peep out of her.

Yet I have never seen her really limping along, just walking slowly, slowly. Noticed some limping as I went after her with the net. She was obviously hobbled somewhat.

She makes no sound at all—unless I try to catch her, then a mild quack.

Both feet seem normal. The foot in question does appear to be enlarged on the underpart of the middle toe at each joint. But there is nothing unusual really in the appearance. No lacerations, no puss. One of the enlarged parts seems to be cracked slightly, but it is not open or bleeding. Like an old crack healed.

Outwardly, the bird appears normal, really.

But I think there may be an issue with the left foot somehow. I thought possibly an infected laceration that ‘metastatized’ throughout body, but I am not aware of any day on which she was limping and bleeding as if from a fresh laceration.

I didn't even notice anything amiss until this past mid-week.

Again, I think she is in extreme pain: practically no eating, no foraging, stopped laying, no vocalizing at all, and often reluctant to put weight on left foot.

I am not doing the vet thing and I am not going to experiment with antibiotics! I’ve done that before!

Unless any brilliant insights come, I will probably put her out of her pain by next weekend.

Too bad, she was the second bird to start laying, and was a real character in the group in summer…………

But still I post this. thank you

ETA:

I gave her a going-over yesterday with my hands, including an abdominal rub (which has brought eggs out of other birds I have so treated). No unusual lumps or bumps found anywhere on/in her underparts.

Pooped afterward. Poop is watery, as she doesn't really eat. But normal otherwise

Eggbound was my first concern. Hence my belly rub yesterday..............

Last edited by a moderator:
It does sound alot like being eggbound or internal laying. I'm sorry you are having trouble with this girl. I hope she will be ok. I hope someone else chimes in with more helpful info. Can ducks have internal laying? I'm not even sure. I guess they can just like chickens. Good luck and keep us posted.
fl.gif

I would wash her left foot very gently with warm soap and water and examine it carefully. From what you described I think she has an infection in that foot. Hold her feet, one in each hand and if the one on the left is warmer than the right I would treat that foot. Look up bumblefoot. There are excellent 'play by plays' on this forum for the procedure. If it is an infection I would recommend antibiotics and I RARELY do that.

Quote:
Thank you. I am beginning to think that it is bumble foot with the infection now spread throughout her body.

She is suffering terribly, that is obvious

On one of the swellings on her left central under foot there is a callous like circular patch. Maybe that is one of those bumble foot 'scabs'.............but it is not black, that's for sure...........
The other swelling is just that--an enlarged circle-ish part, with no scab or any such thing.

BUT SHE IS REALLY FAVORING THAT FOOT.

I AM POSTING PICTURES TOMORROW OF THE FOOT, ALSO.

here's the top of one healthy foot

rttop.jpg

here's another good foot

lfttop.jpg

good one, bottom

goodfoot.jpg

bad foot far, bottom

onefoot.jpg

bad foot, close up

badfoot.jpg

Is this bumble foot.

But I guess she is ALL infected now, not just foot.

She can barely even utter a muted quack, doesn't eat anymore.........

Definitely bumblefoot...please take pics as you go and let us see what duck bumblefoot is like.
Apparently the process works better if you can get them laid by the sink and run water over it as you clean it. Im not sure how ducks react but I can hardly imagine my runners laying still for that.
Ive had terrible problems with one hen, and used antibiotics (which saved her, Im sure) I would lat least treat locally with antibiotics. try penn g injected at the site or into the breast. and pack it with antibiotics and blukote (which makes it hard to see, but it does seem to help. I have a ton of stuff here, and another helpful thing to have on hand is the drying wound powder. I found that to be very helpful in many instances.
Keep it as clean as you can...it seems like this problem in a duck would be a real challenge.
My hen's one foot healed and the other went necrotic and actually withered away and fell off! she is much happier now with just the stump than the painful toes on it.
and is hopping around!
There are 4 or 5 stages of bumblefoot and yours doesnt lok that bad. if the bumble comes out easy and you treat with antibiotics then you may be able to eradicate it.atered down iodine solution to clean prior.
and pack with antibiotics after...wrap with vet wrap or...I dont know....Ive heard of using half a tennis ball as a bootie, wrapped on. I would put some absorbant gauze in the bottom,

good luck and take pics of what you pull out and how it looks after...and also how you bandage!

Thanks...youre helping other ducks who might get it.
it bleeds alot when you scrape it out, so try the runnign water thing...also w

Back
Top Bottom