Duck hen with lump on foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duck&chickencrazy, Apr 22, 2009.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    my cayuga hen has a huge lump on her foot...it is circular and its about the size of a large marble about this _______ wide...shes limping really badly, and it is right in the middle of her 2nd toe, it can be seen on both sides of her foot...whats wrong with her foot?? she looks like shes in pain as well

2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    I hope someone responds to you.

One of my females has the same thing.

We caught her and kept her in for a few days because of other health problems and noticed the lump. Also, the foot and leg with the lump on it is warmer then the normal foot. I know that's a good indication of infection so I'm giving her some soluble antibiotic.

Maybe this will get the thread started.....

3. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i noticed that with my hen to but i just forgot to mention it...please someone help!!!

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    sorry guys, sounds like you've got a case of bumblefoot. does the lump have a black scab on it? if so, its bumblefoot. its caused when a staph infection gets into a cut in their foot. if you are possible its bumblefoot, its best to catch the duck, soak its foot in epsom salt water for about 20 minutes and then try to remove the scab. yes, its gross. if can get the scab off, LUCKY YOU! otherwise, you will most likely have to slightly cut the absess open. you then have to get the cheese like puss out of the absess. try to get as much as you can. then, soak the foot again if you have to, and try to get some more. when you're done, put some antibiotic cream in the open absess (packing it full works pretty well) but make sure it does not have pain relief. then, you will have to wrap the ducks foot to keep it clean, and every couple days, take the dressing off and see if there's any more puss, if so, repeat soaking and anti-pussing. otherwise, just put some more antibiotic cream on (NO PAIN RELIEF!) and wrap it again. it should normally be cleared up in around a week, but its best to keep them quiet and clean. good luck guys! if either of you could get a pic of your ducks foot that would help identify if its bumblefoot or not.

eta: the lump is normally warmer than the uninfected areas of the foot.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i think it is bumblefoot...she does have the scab on it...thankyou so much...i will go out and deal with it right now...

6. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    duck&chickencrazy :

i think it is bumblefoot...she does have the scab on it...thankyou so much...i will go out and deal with it right now...

well out of most of the things it could be, its better if its bumblefoot, its easy to treat at home. hope she's okay. tell us how she does and how you do!​

7. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    When husband comes home we will get her back in....I'll post a pic this evening...

Thanks TheDuckCrew I appreciate your knowledge [​IMG]

8. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:aww no problem. good luck with your girl. i only know all this because i had a hen i suspected had bumblefoot because she was limping, but when i finally caught her, she was clear. i had all the stuff ready just in case though. the boys had just been a little rough on her so she had a couple days rest and was fine. again, good luck and keep us posted on how she's doing. [​IMG]

9. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    well i tried what you told me to do and i started getting some of the nasty stuff out but then it started bleeding alot and she was freaking out cause i think it hurt so i stopped, but the lump is still about the same size....i wrapped it with gauze and put some antibiotics on it and put her in a small cage so that she cant move around alot to make it worse...shes not to happy about that...i think she will be ok though....

10. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yeah, sometimes they do bleed a little i've heard. when that happens (probably should've told you this before...sorry.) but you can just apply pressure for a couple minutes and then they will stop bleeding and you can be done after that. wrapping it works too. since you got it open and got some cream in there, it should starting clearing itself up, may just take a couple days more. good luck! i think the little girl deserves some treats after that...mine got watermelon and i didn't even do anything to her. she just gets scared when i catch her and hold her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by