Duck hepatitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ash123, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ok, this is not a chick question but a duckling question. I brought a sick duckling home from the feed store today bc well, that's how I am. It looks like it could be duck hepatitis after reading on the internet (matches symptoms exactly.) My kids and I have been handling it and I'm now a little terrified. Is this something that can be transferred to people or animals? I know it prob can my chickens but they are outside away from it all. Also, has anyone had a duck arch it's back and fall over with its legs stiff and straight out and it not be hepatitis? It is constantly drinking water and I mean every 5 seconds and eating good. It looks a bit spraddle leg so I taped it's legs up. It's not on it's back anymore bc of the small space it's in and actually seems to be more alert and doing a bit better. I have had him for about 7 hours now. Any advice would be great bc i don't know a thing about ducks!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to ask the same question in the duck forum.

-Kathy

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thank you for taking the little in.

This may not be DVH. It may be a niacin deficiency caused by feeding chick starter.

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says to start on 100 to 150 mg niacin (from a capsule - do not use timed release or no-flush kind, just plain niacin) in each gallon of drinking water for several weeks. I would say 8 weeks. From what I have seen on the duck forum, results may be seen overnight, to within a week.

Looking up details for DVH in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, I see no mention of being able to be contracted by humans - and you know it's always good to wash hands after handling animals.

It appears to affect ducklings, primarily. I will check at the duck forum and we can continue there if you wish.

(made a few more edits as I went along on this response . . . .)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I want to say that ususally viruses and diseases do not spread from species to species, but as we all know in terms of Swine and Bird Flus, they indeed can. I say if you have any concerns for you own health, or your family's health, then you should consult a Dr or other Medical Professional.

... That said, ducks are normally super hardy, super tough, resilient, and healthy creatures... I'm with Amiga. I'd do the Vitamins for a few days and see if you notice improvement. Adding the Niacin as she has instructed is a perfect way to go, but what I usually do is add Sav-A-Chick to the water, as it contains the Niacin plus more. Also, seems like I found that the Dumor brand feed contained more Niacin than whatever previous brand I'd been using (back when I had ducklings).

1 person likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  6. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to get vitamins now. I didn't even know there was a duck forum so I will head over there for any more questions I may have. It lived overnight which I was not expecting and even seems to be a little better. Not great, but isn't falling on it's back anymore:) I may shkuld have added before that it had a home for a day with a little girl who "loved" it a lot;) it started acting weird so the mom brought it back to the store. Anyways, thanks for your help!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    He/she is up running around now. Yesterday I walked by the poor thing laying on it's back and made the comment to my daughter that the sweet thing was dying. I never thought that today it would be at my house and even more so running around. It's neck is a little tilted still when it runs around but it is crazy how much it has improved in 24 hours. I think it would have died if I had left it there. I put some niacin in it's water this morning. That's the only thing I have done different besides taping it's legs bc it's a little spraddled. I'm thinking we aren't in danger at this point. I feel like if it was hepatitis it wouldn't be getting better and would have died by now.

9. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Does anyone know if I can continue the normal vitamins and electrolytes that you put in the water with the niacin?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's probably okay, but don't quote me on that. Glad to hear it's doing better!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by