1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck house - almost done! PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by skya328, May 14, 2011.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    We had duck eggs in the incubator. With 6 days left we gave the eggs to a broody chicken. We set up a giant brooder box in the house. Everyone told us how dirty and STINKY ducks are. Well, they are! The eggs were days from hatching and I still had no coop built. Scratch that. I didn't even have it started! DH has been working a ton so this was my deal. As of the night before I still didn't have much idea what exactly I was going to build, just that I had to start in the morning. I was flipping through the Storey's Guide for Raising Ducks book and saw a picture of a suitable duck pen. I thought to myself, "That'll work!" The next morning I went to Home Depot all by myself and picked out what materials I needed. Oh, and I ignored the man that laughed at me when I was looking at my plans and comparing to my materials list. Jerk!

Here is the progression of my duck house. As of right now, all I have left to build is the door. IMO it is the hardest part since it has to be more precise! We are going to move it from the driveway to somewhere in the yard. Even though the ducks haven't moved in yet I'm still noticing some things I'll need to improve. But....the goal for today is to finish this thing and get the 3 stinky ducklings and mama chicken OUT of my living room!

We were able to use some recycled pieces of wood. All of the little fence boards are recycled. Unfortunately I did spend some $ on the 2x4's and roofing materials. We started out thinking we were going to have a plywood roof. Then we decided to use Suntuf Polycarbonate roof panels that will hopefully take the weather we have in TX a little better.

The design (I'll have to add nest boxes later.)
    [​IMG]

Day 1 - Does it look like a coop yet?
    [​IMG]

A start
    [​IMG]

My supervisors
    Teddy
    [​IMG]
    Maggie
    [​IMG]

Progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My motivation...freshly hatched duckling! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The roof is on and Spike approves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bigger motivation, literally! Duck is 9 days old in this pic.
    [​IMG]

More progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is as far as I've gotten.
    [​IMG]

All that needs to be done now is that dang door! I can add more finishing touches once the ducks are in it.
    I plan on throwing them a housewarming party tonight! lol [​IMG]

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    That looks awesome. GOOD JOB. [​IMG] Make sure you update with the finished product and a pic of them enjoying it. Thats the best part.

3. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    great job! any duck would be happy to live there!

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Cool! Where we live (lots of snow) you put the roof boards on edge, rather than flat--but I don't think you get much snow in Dallas? [​IMG] I will have to watch this thread so I can make my DH build me a few of these...they look perfect for Muscovies & geese.....

What are the measurements?

5. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Love it

6. kayla_sayswa

kayla_sayswa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    WOW this is awesome! A duck house is on my list to do, too. I cannot believe how fast my ducklings are growing - they are freaks of nature!!

7. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks everyone! I'm quite pleased with it.

Quote:I hadn't even thought about carrying a load of snow. We don't generally get much snow here but the last couple of winters has been unreal here. I grew up in Portland, Oregon and was used to snow at least a few times a year. Now that I'm in Dallas, the last 2 years (out of the 5 I've been here) we got snowfall earlier in the year and more inches than Portland!

The measurements are 6 x 8. It is 3' tall in the back and 4' tall in the front. I'm in a hurry to get the ducks outside, so I'll have to add the nest boxes later. They're still with their surrogate mama, so they won't need them for a bit anyway.

Here are a couple more pictures. I have some more things to make it more predator proof, but for right now it is great! I had to paint some more stuff and visit with my mom who is visiting from Oregon so I didn't finish until late. With that said, I'm pretty much DONE! [​IMG] At least it is duck safe. The babies will be moving tomorrow.

Door was hung, still had to put wire & a latch on it.
    [​IMG]

It passed the dog test once I was done
    [​IMG]

Another reason I didn't get the ducks moved outside today.....we had some fun!

8. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    You did a great job. No matter how hard I try I can not make anything square, so I gave that up and just make it sturdy! I also like making mine tall enough so that I can walk into it. I'm tired of having to bend over and almost crawl into the corner to get an egg or what ever out.

One day I was in mine and heard a noise behind me, my new minature donkey (walter 4 yrs old) was standing behind me and I think he even liked the "house" because I had a heck of a time getting him out.

Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Just do it and prove them wrong.

9. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Off topic a little, but how cute are those baby ducks! I'm trying really hard lately not to want ducklings, but MAN is it hard, between this post and the adorable little blue ducks they had at the Farm Store the other day. Stinkin' adorable. Good thing I have zero desire to build another coop and run... this year:)

10. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    I love the house! Good job. I have to build one myself for 3 pekings and two mystery (so far) that somebody got and could not care for. I like the design you used.

OH and your dogs are beautiful. Whippits? (sp?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by