Duck House/Chicken House/Quail House?! Help :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lmuns349, Mar 8, 2017.

1. lmuns349

lmuns349 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Hi All,
    I am a new member, even though I've been using this forum as a research source for over a year. I was hoping to get some input on a coop/run situation. My husband and I have been building a quail pen for raising quail on the ground. We have a run finished, approx 6'x3' and about 2.5' high. We are working to attach a small coop for safety purposes.

My dad has just asked if he can purchase a chicken coop for us, as a housewarming gift (we just bought our house a few month ago). I'm attaching a picture of the coop/run he wants to buy for us... I hope the picture comes through! The chicken coop/run is gorgeous, and of course I want it, but my husband and I have only ever been interested in ducks and quail. We wanted to start with quail because they seem easier to keep, and then possibly move up to ducks. I do, however, have a really hard time passing up the opportunity to have a coop like this gifted to me.

So, even after over a year's worth of research, and knowing that ducks need to be kept closer to the ground, and need a wide door/ramp... And that quail really won't use a ramp or coop... What are your thoughts on this? Is it possible to keep ducks in something like this? Should I pass it up since it's really meant for chickens (should I consider chickens?!)[​IMG]

2. lmuns349

lmuns349 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Oh, I should probably add that our township only allows 2 fowl at any household with a property of our size. We would get 3 quail maybe, but we could only have 2 ducks/chickens at once.

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    That will be okay for ducks.. and if you get them young they won't protest about having to go up a ramp.

4. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

My girls use a ramp, albeit wider and at a lower angle, and the only time they've had any trouble was after it had rained for several days in a row and the wood was kind of slimed and slippery and they couldn't get a grip. They also like to slide down their ramp - I guess walking is just too slow or boring lol.

I think that since the one in your post has those horizontal pieces of wood on the ramp that ducks could probably get up it just fine, especially if as @dotknott said and you get young ones. If they have too much trouble, you could always modify the ramp to be kind of L shaped instead of just straight, and maybe wider and at a lower angle. But I think they'd probably be fine.

Here's a pic of my ducks' house with the ramp. (Btw I would not design the door like that again, where it's a ramp/door combo with a second, smaller ramp. Way too fiddley and heavy.)

[​IMG]

5. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I would make a wider ramp with a railing and put something grippy on the ramp so they can waddle up.....They will be great.....

Best wishes.....Ducks are lots of fun....:)

Cheers!

7. lmuns349

lmuns349 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks all! Maybe we'll get a couple ducks AND a couple quail. [​IMG]

For the ducks-- do any of you have welsh harlequins? Are they relatively friendly/sociable with humans? I've read that khakis can be a bit skittish, and I'd prefer a good egg layer that would get along well with us and maybe even our dog (dog would definitely be a careful trial process!)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I have Appleyards, Buff and Call Ducks....Mine are all friendly.....Welsh are known to be good too....:)

Best of luck!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by