1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck house designs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stamper, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Does anyone have a picture of their duck house? Mine is in progress and I'm curious what others look like [​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Lol mine is just a rubber pond flipped upside down and a door cut in it and I fill it with hay.

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Our duck pens dont have a coop, just open with a partial roof for shade. The dont need protection from rain and it doesnt get too cold here but they do need shade.

In the past Ive had several pens on dirt, but the ducks always fill their auto waterer with muck and mud within a day or two and make a huge mud puddle as well, resulting in muddy eggs. Concrete stays cleaner and can be hosed off, but eggs not laid in the nest are always cracked from landing on the cement. Its a trade off. We use plastic dog houses for nest boxes but they dont always lay in them.

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Here is the pen before the coop was made, it now has another pen along side it with a coop at each end. I have a door in the middle so if I want I can separate the ducks! Mostly when I have a momma setting I will close off the one pen to keep the other duck from getting at them!
    I will try to post an after pic, soon!
    [​IMG]

5. Stamper

Apr 1, 2009
    thanks!

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I couple old bricks stacked o top of each other about 6ft apart put two 2x4 on them and screwed a white palruf piece on top. THat simple and the girls just made a nest under my stairs in the backyard.

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Right now I'm just using horse fencing surrounding a Little Tikes house. You can scroll thru my website and see it. My husband has just built a new pen that we are putting ducks in today so I'll have that on my website later. It's awesome because it's made out of pvc so it's lightweight and will be able to move around the yard. Someplace on my website there is at least one pic of the new pen. Check the site later and you'll see the completed project! Looks alot like "Ahbee1" pen, but made with pvc. Good luck!

8. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of mine - they have a huge run too, off to the left of the house, that they get to through a cute little door that's not visible in this picture. We still need to get the roofing on it - we're deciding between corrugated metal or this really heavy, recycled plastic stuff from Menards. For right now, we just put a tarp over the top when it rains. Once we get the roofing on, it'll have metal latches instead of bungee cords for the top [​IMG]

Oh, the little hole in the bottom left corner is where we run the cord of their heated water dish through in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  9. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    [​IMG]

Just got this one up tonight. See website for more pics. I love seeing all your pens!

10. Stamper

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm LOVING the photos! Thank you all for sharing [​IMG]

I'm wondering though... why is it that duck houses seem to be so much more modest than chicken coops?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by