Duck house dilemma

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Okay I have 3 runners and 2 mallards. They are 7 1/2 weeks and are getting ready to be relocated out of the chick coop. Should I put them w/ the standards and guineas or make them their own mini leanto w/ a fence? The standard chickens have 2 levels in the coop w/ the bottom level having a drain in the middle whitch I thought would be great for cleaning but I'm not so sure if the steps (2) would be an issue. What do you think? Also I'm not sure if they are big enough to go in w/ the chickens and espically the guineas. I have had them (the ducks) outside in a fence almost everyday for about a week and the guineas seem to do okay but I'm still leary. Thanks for any help, Krista

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't advocate mixing fowl.

I keep everything separate in their own little houses and runs.

3. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I agree with MissPrissy. The only time I mix fowl is when they are in the brooder. After they get older, I separate them. I have my duck pen, my chicken pen and soon coming my goose pen.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  4. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    What about freeranging?

5. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks and chickens freerange during the day, but retire to their respective coops at night (on their own!). When they first when out to their new coops from the brooder I left them locked in the coops for a week or two, that way they learned where "home" was. I've never had a problem with any going to the wrong house in the evening. Of course during the day the chickens love to scratch around in the duck's laying house, and the ducks like to dabble in the chicken run mulch, but they know whose turf is whose! [​IMG]

6. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I keep ducks and chickens in the same house without a problem but....
    The coop where the ducks stay is surrounded by a small fortress of a pen. The pen is tarped and another tarp goes around the northeast corner to block wind. Large plastic storage bins are turned on their sides and filled with hay. The hens always go inside and roost. The ducks are generally outside even in the worst weather. They can go in if they need to but don't. Only time I close the small pop door is if the temps are dropping into the -20 range. Then I make sure they all get chased in. Even in weather like that the ducks would rather be outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by