Duck house egg drama's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chunky duck, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Chunky duck

Chunky duck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Yesterday I went in to check my 2 month old quackers as they were making quite a racket. Fortunately I found nothing amiss they were just having a bit of a party! While there I decided to check on my broody ducks eggs as they are near hatch time and a chook was sitting on them at the time. This has been a constant , with my chooks shoving mummy duck off the nest to lay. (It's not like they do not have another 2 nesting boxes to choose from!) So I checked and to my dismay there was an egg crushed , shell gone and both membranes broken. I figured it would be dead but no it was not. So I tucked it between my boobs to keep it dry and warm as it was raining took it inside and set up the incubator.
    I have just read a thead about a chicken surviving this and am hoping I can keep this little quackling alive. I have it in a high humidity incubator wrapped in a very wet cloth and keep misting it with Silver colloid to keep any bacterial infection at bay. She is still alive this morning but very still. Has anyone else done this sucessfully? I think she has a few more days of developement to go.

2. Chunky duck

Jan 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is What the egg looks like at the moment. I have put coconut oil on the membrane to keep it moist.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Lacrystol may have some ideas.

4. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Aw! I wanna know what happens. Sweet little thing, good idea with the colloidal silver

5. Chunky duck

Jan 18, 2013
    Yes, I am hoping the silver colloid and the coconut oil will act as a good prevention towards infection. I figured that would be the biggest risk. Just checked her and there is no movement so am not holding my breath. :( Hoping she is just resting . Will check again in an hour.

6. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    Awwwww fingers crossed [​IMG]

7. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Hum not sure about the coconut oil, wonder if there's any harmful chemicals.

He's many days are left?? She not in a good position, first thing I would get rid of the paper towels or anything you have her on that is wet..

Second what's the temp and the humidity at? Do u have an air or a still??

8. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I question this spot here

[​IMG]

9. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    Coconut oil is just coconut oil...there are no bad chemicals in it. It's actualy a lubricant and antibacterial and beneficial in all senses. I would also keep the area as humid as possible so the egg does not dry and become stuck to the Duckie since the shell is so open. As long as the damp cloths are not over the open area it's good and only adding misture to the lil thing

10. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    As long as it's unrefined organic coconut oil it should be helpful not harmful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by